Fishless Cycling problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

viper20

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone,

I am a newbie to the forum and also to fish in general, i have been reading tons of info on the internet and decided to purchase a 29 gallon tank and do a fishless cycle. I added 4ppm of the ace hardware janitorial ammonia to the water 3 weeks ago. I purchased an API Master test kit and the ammonia levels are still exactly the same at 4ppm 3 weeks later as they were on day one. I also have 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates which would make sense since the ammonia has not broken down at all.

4 days ago i added a bottle of tetra safe start plus to the water to see if that would get things speeding along but it has not, ammonia is still at 4ppm.

I do not have anything to seed the tank with so i know the cycle will take longer but based off a lot that i have read i would think my ammonia levels would have dropped at least a little at this point?

I do have a fluval 406 filter that has also been running since day 1, i have the water temp at 85 degrees, and i have a bubble wand in there as well.

Any ideas on what more i can do at this point should i do a water change to remove some of the ammonia and dose it back up to 4ppm or would that not make any difference?

Please help

Hello, welcome to the fish hobby!
First of all, witch might be why you have this problem in the first place, did you use a product do remove chlorine, heavy metals and chloramine? You require it or the bacteria will get killed before they can even reproduce. That would be my best guess.

+1 to fishnatic's advice.

Another reason for a cycle to stall is too low of a ph. Do you know what your tank's pH is?

Hello, welcome to the fish hobby!
First of all, witch might be why you have this problem in the first place, did you use a product do remove chlorine, heavy metals and chloramine? You require it or the bacteria will get killed before they can even reproduce. That would be my best guess.

Nope i dont think thats it i used seachem prime when i first added the water and my ph is at 8

Any other ideas

Thanks!

Just let your tank sit for a week and if that doesnt work you may wanna cycle with fish its more reliable feel free to ask how to cycle will fish btw, good luck

I was 4 days in b4 the ammo started to drop but once it did it dropped quickly. Fish less is all about patience youve got all the right ideas bought the correct stuff give it a bit don't worry mother nature does her thing. Get s schedule down for when you test your water every 24hrs don't change that keep the temp in the tank warm 84-86 make sure your wand is bubbling good. If you left your 406 in its stock configuration I'd like to offer a suggestion on changing it a bit but you'll be fine just test your tanks ph and ammo every 24hrs don't worry about the other tests. Your doing fine. And your fish will thank you for doing this as well in the end. If you have no live plants don't turn lights on at all.

I noticed you said 3 weeks not days make sure your doing your tests correct and make sure it's not expired when you can test all of them today and post. Make sure that filter is running wide open to.

I was 4 days in b4 the ammo started to drop but once it did it dropped quickly. Fish less is all about patience youve got all the right ideas bought the correct stuff give it a bit don't worry mother nature does her thing. Get s schedule down for when you test your water every 24hrs don't change that keep the temp in the tank warm 84-86 make sure your wand is bubbling good. If you left your 406 in its stock configuration I'd like to offer a suggestion on changing it a bit but you'll be fine just test your tanks ph and ammo every 24hrs don't worry about the other tests. Your doing fine. And your fish will thank you for doing this as well in the end. If you have no live plants don't turn lights on at all.

Some of those live bacteria bottles dont always work

I noticed you said 3 weeks not days make sure your doing your tests correct and make sure it's not expired when you can test all of them today and post. Make sure that filter is running wide open to.

I know i am defintely doing the tests correctly i followed the directions included to the "T" the kit does not expire until 2/2016 and yes the filter is in the wide open position I have no idea what could be wrong.

Ammonia is still at 4ppm ph is 7.4-7.5

Thanks

Ok. I'd like you to try 2 things if youd like. 1 do a 100% water change or add much as you can double the dose of prime when you fill it back up so for you a full cap. Second since your shutting the filter down to do the change take all 4 bags of carbon out throw them away turn filter back on wsit an hour add 2ppm ammo thatll be about 1 teaspoon ish turn your heaters back on your temp is good turn your air wand on test it again tomorrow let me/us know probably still gonna be same but I have faith in next couple days it'll go down. When you pen the filter make sure you drain some water out first. Your bottom tray has the bio foam leave it there your next tray is the bio max leave it there next 2 trays are the carbon trash the carbon and put the pads on top of the biomax. Button the filter up start it back up. When you get an oppurtunity id highly suggest getting a nother box of biomax for the 3rd tray add more surface area or get there pre filter stuff put that in the second tray and move the biomax up to the 3rd tray. Leaving the fourth tray open for adding something later as needed like carbon if you need to remove meds or purigen to really polish the water clear or something for nitrates.

Also your ph has been going down ive noticed from other posts u made nother reason for doing the water change lets just kinda start over a little. During a cycle it'll rise a bit shiuldnt go down. Could you please tesy your tap water for ph ammo nitrites and nitrates and post the readings

I know your probably very frustrated and I understand but if you can bare with me and the tank thru the weekend we'll get ya going you have all the right equipment and products and ideas the only logical thing I can come up with is all that carbon. My 55 was cycled with 2 fluval 306s I used prime I used ace ammo heaters were at 84 had 2 airstones going basically same as you except 1 thing the carbon and since I had 2 306s I woulda had the same amount as you currently have the only difference is I have 3 trays in my filter's and you have 4.

If you do any of the things I said with the filter all 4 trays must be in the filter just the top 2 will be empty

Viper20, Hbbambislayer helped me cycle my 55gl & it went very well. I so appreciate all of his help, he was so patient, communicated with me everyday & didn t let me get discouraged.
Hi Larry! The tank is doing great!

image-3660359465.jpg

If that's a pic of t the tank it looks great the sword back there looks really good. This person here seems to be in a bad spot right now hoping I can get them going got another person going they'll be getting fish on Saturday it looks like. Just hope I can help or this person

Thanks! I really like this tank.
And you re a good guy to help people. Couldn t ve done it without ya :)

I know your probably very frustrated and I understand but if you can bare with me and the tank thru the weekend we'll get ya going you have all the right equipment and products and ideas the only logical thing I can come up with is all that carbon. My 55 was cycled with 2 fluval 306s I used prime I used ace ammo heaters were at 84 had 2 airstones going basically same as you except 1 thing the carbon and since I had 2 306s I woulda had the same amount as you currently have the only difference is I have 3 trays in my filter's and you have 4.

No problem as soon as i get home i will start draining the water and follow your suggestions, i appreciate all the help. Can you please explain in more detail what i need to do with the filters again?

Thanks!

Your going to shut it off to do the water change. If you can drain some tank water into a bucket or very large bowl. 1st turn off flow. 2nd unplug. 3rd unhook the house clamp assembly from canister. 4th carry filter to sink and poor or some water. 5th open up the canister itself. 6th pull or the rack thing with the foam blocks in it should be red colored and set it on counter or place it in the bucket of aquarium water. 7th take our the top 2 white baskets the ones that have the carbon after you take them out you should see the bio max rings in the next tray. 8th throw the carbon in the trash. 9th take the 2 white pads and place 1 on top of each side of the bio Max it may be easier to pull out that tray as well if you didn't drain enough water out. 10th put the 2 empty racks back in and that cover on top of the top tray. 11th put that foam block assembly back in. 12th close the canister back up. 13th hook the host assembly back up fill the tank prime the canister and your ready to rock and roll.

Now when you fill the tank double your prime dose so for you a full cap.

Don't forget to turn heater off b4 you empty the tank and turn it on ayer you fill.

Ammonia dosage no more than 2ppm not sure how your measuring your dosage but a teaspoon will be 2ppm maybe more you can y use that as a reference. Maybe do half a teaspoon wait 1/2 hour test add more if necessary.

Maybe for future or if possible on your way home fluval sells bio max by its self. Your big stores carry it or on line or maybe in your lfs. I'd pick up a box and add it to your 3rd tray than move those 2 white pads on top of that bio max leaving the fourth tray still empty.

Set up as follows from bottom tray to top tray. 1 bio foam both sides. 2 bio max both sides. 3 bio max both sides white pads on top of that bio max. 4 empty with that cover plate on top if it. Leaving that fourth tray open for adding other media or carbon as needed. The extra biomax isnt needed but for 14 dollars it surely wont hurt.

I hope you ubderstand all that mess there I tend to be longwinded sometimes sorry I just like to be as thiurough as I can

Also when i drain all the water i am also draining the filter 100% as well correct?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom