Fishless Cycling Question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coyote251

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi All,

I started the fishless cycling process last sunday with a starting ammonia level around 4.0ppm. I have checked the level 3 times this week with no significant change to the level. How long should it take for the level to start dropping? I did add seeding material from another small established tank that I have running, but I messed up in my first attempt at adding the ammonia. With no direction as to how much ammonia would be required to get to 5ppm in a 30g tank I added about a cup thinking this was a "small" quantity. Nothing in the tank liked that and I ended up having to replace all my newly purchased plants. I then drained the tank, refilled it 50% and then drained it again before filling it up fully again. Realizing my mistake I started with a tablespoon of ammonia the second time. I ended up adding 3tbsp to get the level to show over 4ppm. Would my initial mistake have possible killed any of the bacteria that I had put in my filter for seeding? If so could this be adding to the delay I am seeing for the ammonia level to drop.

Just as a side note, although that much ammonia was not good for the plants in my tank, the clarity of the water and of the glass has drastically improved. I would use this for cleaning any used tank that I aquire.

Any information from anyone who has gone through the fishless cycling process would be greatly appreciated.

Hi & welcome!! Ok, I am sorry to have to inform you of this but it is likely that the whopping dose of ammonia killed off any seeding bacteria you may have had as it did your plants. Starting a fishless cycle from scratch, it can take 2wks (or longer) for you to start to see your amm levels start to drop. Did you use a proper dose of conditioner/dechlorinator when you refilled your tank? As your cycle progresses, you will want to make sure you keep a daily watch on your ph as well for changes. Dont hesitate to ask any questions!!! Heres a few links to check out:

ammonia dosing calculator (5mls=1tsp):
Calculator

fishless cycling:
http://www.aquariumadvice.comforums...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

Last edited:
Yes I did use the proper dosing of tap water conditioner when the tank was refilled. I will keep an eye on the pH as well, now that you mention it. Thanks for the links, I will check them out.

Back
Top Bottom