Fishless cycling - used gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peter1209

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
Just wondering about using gravel from a mature fish tank. I finally managed to get the local fish shop to give me something to kickstart the fishless cycle. They gave me a handfull of gravel from one of the tanks, I placed it all near the instake to the filter (I have all ponds solution 1000 external filter), correct me if im wrong but in theory shouldnt this be sucked into the filter and allow the bacteria to grow within the filter.

The reason is when the tank is finally cycled I can remove the gravel fairly easily as my gravel is white and the stuff they gave me is all multi coloured, I didnt really want to spread it round the tank only to have to try and remove it all after.

I know people put it in a net or something, I really couldnt find anything and was worried about leaving it in the bag too long and loosing the bacteria, I wasnt too keen on opening up the filter just yet either and placing it there.

I could move it if theres a better solution, any advice?

Many Thanks

Hi,
Just wondering about using gravel from a mature fish tank. I finally managed to get the local fish shop to give me something to kickstart the fishless cycle. They gave me a handful of gravel from one of the tanks, I placed it all near the instake to the filter (I have all ponds solution 1000 external filter), correct me if im wrong but in theory shouldn't this be sucked into the filter and allow the bacteria to grow within the filter.

The reason is when the tank is finally cycled I can remove the gravel fairly easily as my gravel is white and the stuff they gave me is all multi coloured, I didn't really want to spread it round the tank only to have to try and remove it all after.

I know people put it in a net or something, I really couldn't find anything and was worried about leaving it in the bag too long and loosing the bacteria, I wasn't too keen on opening up the filter just yet either and placing it there.

I could move it if theres a better solution, any advice?

Many Thanks
:welcome:First off, Welcome to AA. This is what i would do. Get a cheap pair ladies tights. Cut the ankle area off. Place the gravel into the tights and tie it. Open up your filter and place it in there beside the bio-media(balls and/or noddles/rings).
Alternatively, you could just put it in with the balls or rings without the tights, actually it would probably be more beneficial. Get some cheap tights(brand new) anyway, you would be amazed how many things they come in handy for!!!
Don't be afraid to open the filter up, you'll have to get used to it sometime!!!. How are you getting on with the cycle, how do you plan on getting your Ammonia source??... Ian

My cycle has been going about a week now, tried several fish shops which all wouldnt give me anything, just so happened to passing another shop today and though what the hell might as well ask and they gave me some gravel.

Ammonia source; I got a bottle of ammonia from a hardware shop (Robert Dyers here in the uk). Its about 5% ammonia, I know most are about 10% from what I read but its all I could find, after reading several other posts and forums people have seem to cycle the tank successfully with this product so I guess i'll just have to wait and see what happens.

I have been testing with the API master kit and dosed with ammonia twice now, it dropped to 1ppm ammonia today (before putting the gravel in) so I dosed it back to 4ppm. PH is 8.2, seems a little high to me but I have been assured this is fine for cycling, temp is around 30c, only tested for nitite and nitrate when first setting up the tank just to make sure there was none in the water to begin with.

I'm not getting impatient or anything, waiting dosnt bother me too much though I think my 3 cats are. In fact at present my tank is about 90 liters but I have just ordered a 250 liter tank instead, after alot more reading and seeing options available just seems to make sense getting a bigger tank now before I get any fish, I pick it up on the 5th March and I need to make a hood for it, really just using my current tank to build bacteria cycle thing and then will trasnsfer it to my new tank once complete.

Theres alot more to this than I first imagined, not that its put me off or anything, infact I find it quite enjoyable, even the fishless cycle has a certain excitement about it. My only dissapointment is my local fish shop, trying to advise me against the fishless cycle and its not needed etc etc, they seem to offer very conflicting advice, thank god for forums like this and people offering and willing to help.

Many Thanks.

My cycle has been going about a week now, tried several fish shops which all wouldnt give me anything, just so happened to passing another shop today and though what the hell might as well ask and they gave me some gravel.

Ammonia source; I got a bottle of ammonia from a hardware shop (Robert Dyers here in the uk). Its about 5% ammonia, I know most are about 10% from what I read but its all I could find, after reading several other posts and forums people have seem to cycle the tank successfully with this product so I guess i'll just have to wait and see what happens.

I have been testing with the API master kit and dosed with ammonia twice now, it dropped to 1ppm ammonia today (before putting the gravel in) so I dosed it back to 4ppm. PH is 8.2, seems a little high to me but I have been assured this is fine for cycling, temp is around 30c, only tested for nitite and nitrate when first setting up the tank just to make sure there was none in the water to begin with.

I'm not getting impatient or anything, waiting dosnt bother me too much though I think my 3 cats are. In fact at present my tank is about 90 liters but I have just ordered a 250 liter tank instead, after alot more reading and seeing options available just seems to make sense getting a bigger tank now before I get any fish, I pick it up on the 5th March and I need to make a hood for it, really just using my current tank to build bacteria cycle thing and then will trasnsfer it to my new tank once complete.

Theres alot more to this than I first imagined, not that its put me off or anything, infact I find it quite enjoyable, even the fishless cycle has a certain excitement about it. My only dissapointment is my local fish shop, trying to advise me against the fishless cycle and its not needed etc etc, they seem to offer very conflicting advice, thank god for forums like this and people offering and willing to help.

Many Thanks.
Well you seem to well on your way to a nicely set-up tank. I have two lfs in my town and like you, one told me there's no need to cycle!!. The other one(much smaller) is bang on. I have a great relationship with the manager but it still pays to do your own homework.. The other shop(much larger) even tried to tell me that i could put some Red Belly Piranhas in my 55g(200ltr) community tank. Needless to say i haven't been back since!!!.
I have made my own hood for the 55g, well actually my mate(a chippy) made it. He said it was a piece of cake. They are fairly straight forward to build. He had all the tools, so it made sense to let him do it..haha.
I cycled mine with the fish-in method. I know it's slightly controversial but it worked for me and ALL the fish i used are all happy and healthy, one year on.
I used cheap multi-coloured LED strip lights in it. I don't have plants, so it's not an issue. £30 on ebay.uk.
I know the LED install is not the prettiest but nobody see's them!!. I will do a neater job, eventually..haha

Attachments

• DSCF6545.jpg
    DSCF6545.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCF6565.jpg
    DSCF6565.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 44
  • DSCF6585.jpg
    DSCF6585.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 55
At the end of the day from what I understand fish-in cycle is perfectly ok as long as you prepared for all the water changes etc. Yeah the hood is fairly easy to make, finaly use what my old man taught me and put it to good use lol.
I like the lights on your hood, i'm not going to have plants either so LED's would be perfect, gonna be checking ebay over the next few days. I am going to build the return spray bar into the hood though, at present cant get the bar level or just water level as the hose is just too heavy and the suction not quite up to the job.

There isnt a dedicated fish shop near me as such, there several general stores like pets at home or whatever and a fish section at a nursery 30 mins drive away, they do have plenty of fish, products, live plants, tanks etc just so busy all the time and they dont tend to be too helpful.

At the end of the day from what I understand fish-in cycle is perfectly ok as long as you prepared for all the water changes etc. Yeah the hood is fairly easy to make, finaly use what my old man taught me and put it to good use lol.
I like the lights on your hood, i'm not going to have plants either so LED's would be perfect, gonna be checking ebay over the next few days. I am going to build the return spray bar into the hood though, at present cant get the bar level or just water level as the hose is just too heavy and the suction not quite up to the job.

There isnt a dedicated fish shop near me as such, there several general stores like pets at home or whatever and a fish section at a nursery 30 mins drive away, they do have plenty of fish, products, live plants, tanks etc just so busy all the time and they dont tend to be too helpful.
Try using some suction cups on the back of the tank also and use two inside the tank to support the hose's weight.
The strips are called Taotronics, apparently they are a decent brand..
Best Of Luck with it... Ian

Back
Top Bottom