fishless cycling without a filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blipblop

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just started fishless in my 20g long. My filter should be here in the next couple of days. I'm just wondering if it's ok to start without a filter? I added ammonia into it to bring it to about 5ppm. Just wanted to get a few days headstart because I'm very anxious to put in there!

I think I would agree with tj. You might get some bacteria growing on the substrate, but I would think you would at the least need circulation in the tank (from a powerhead, e.g.).

blah! thought i'd get started early while my filter gets shipped here. Thanks alot

Probably would have a minimal effect, but it wont hurt anything. I bet you cant wait to start your fishless cycle and for it to be over! :lol: In my experience it's worth not exposing fish to the ammonia and nitrite through fishless cycling.

I agree, won't hurt, may help slightly as the bacteria can live on the substrate and decor that's in the tank.. Aeration is key, so run an airstone if you have it. Also, since this is fishless, elevate the tank temperature to about 85° during the cycle. And, no lights.

yep! temp is at 85 and i got the filter running today. I have nitITES now! 1ppm! running the filter and everything ammonia is at 2ppm. I'm going to check daily and add some ammonia every other day or as I need it. Glad to have gotten this started a week early!

blipblop said:
yep! temp is at 85 and i got the filter running today. I have nitITES now! 1ppm! running the filter and everything ammonia is at 2ppm. I'm going to check daily and add some ammonia every other day or as I need it. Glad to have gotten this started a week early!

Yeah, in the end when you're begging your nitrites to go away, you'll be glad you started a week early.

Good luck with everything!

I definitely think it was beneficial IF you had some seed material to start with. Setting up a completely new tank with no beneficial bacteria and no fish probably wouldn't help at all, but if you had anything from an established tank it most definitely did help coat the surfaces (and especially substrate), even with no tank current or filter. Glad to see your cycle is progressing.

it's well on it's way! no more ammonia! i keep on dosing it daily and I'm just watching my nitrITES go away ever so slowly...

Back
Top Bottom