Fishless Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goldensunflowers

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am fishless cycling my 20 gallon tank. I've done a lot of research on how to do it, and seemed to have followed all the directions, but things have stalled!! I have everything set up and running, the heater is turned up to 82 degrees, have a couple Amazon swords in the tank, and this is my cycling diary so far...

07/20: Dosed tank to 4ppm of NH3
07/21: Dosed tank to 4 ppm NH3
07/22: NH3=3ppm
Added more NH3
07/23: NH3=4
07/24: NH3=4
07/25: NH3=4
Added some crumbled up fish food
07/28: NH3=4
07/30: NH3=4
Added more fish food
08/03: NH3=4

I've also periodically checked NO2, but it's always been zero. I'm getting kind of frustrated. What should I do? Should I just keep waiting it out? Should I do a PWC to maybe get things going again? What do you guys think?

What is your pH level? What type of ammonia are you using? I agree to do a large water change if you'd like, dose it back up and see what it does :). Then again, it's still early enough that I wouldn't be convinced there's a problem.

Just have patience if you aren't using any seeded material it can take a long time for the bacteria to get established. I think the average for a new tank to fully cycle is a bit over a month sometimes around 2.

What's your pH at? If your pH is really low or has crashed you won't have any buffers in the water to benefit the bacteria.

EDIT: Eco sniped the post before I finished typing!!

I haven't checked my pH, but I will. I'm using the correct ammonia, without the bad stuff (when you shake it, no bubbles). Didn't get any seeded material, didn't know anyone close by who had an established tank. I guess I will just keep waiting... sigh...

goldensunflowers said:
I haven't checked my pH, but I will. I'm using the correct ammonia, without the bad stuff (when you shake it, no bubbles). Didn't get any seeded material, didn't know anyone close by who had an established tank. I guess I will just keep waiting... sigh...

Let us know the pH when you can...that can potentially be a big factor. But like I said...I wouldn't worry yet.

You can order a seeded filter from AnglesPlus.com. They are called "active" filters and run about $6 delivered. That's what I did and I'm cycling well.

You can do as Jen said, or you can try to go to your lfs and ask if you can have a handful of gravel or a plastic plant or something from an established tank. My mom and pop lfs would gladly give out some seeded material, and I know because I watched them do it =D.

Okay looks like pH is at about 8.0. Isn't that pretty high? I'm planning on doing community freshwater fish, danios, platies, and a gourami, will they be okay in that level of pH eventually?

goldensunflowers said:
Okay looks like pH is at about 8.0. Isn't that pretty high? I'm planning on doing community freshwater fish, danios, platies, and a gourami, will they be okay in that level of pH eventually?

8.0 will be fine for virtually all fish as long as you give them a nice, slow acclimation when they are introduced.

8.0 will also be fine for your cycle...so apparently it's just a bit more patience thats required :)

You can do as Jen said, or you can try to go to your lfs and ask if you can have a handful of gravel or a plastic plant or something from an established tank. My mom and pop lfs would gladly give out some seeded material, and I know because I watched them do it =D.

The only problem with that idea is that the only lfs in the area is Petco or Petsmart, no local mom and pop stores :(

Hi Goldensunflowers,
My tank just finished cycling a few days ago and all the fishies are in there now. It is very much worth the wait. I remember I needed to have a lot of patience, too. And I made a lot of mistakes that took extra time to correct. But Eco23 will help you. He knows this fishless cycling inside and out! Good luck to you and post some photos when you are finished.
If you want to take a look here are some photos of my babies!
Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Ann7667's Album: Fishies in Aquarium set up on 8/1/11

Hang in there!:popcorn:

Ann, your tank is BEAUTIFUL!! Really interesting looking fish, have fun with them in their new tank!!

Woo hoo!! Woo hoo!! Just tested my tank this morning, Ammonia had dropped to 2, and I had Nitrites and even some Nitrates!!!!! Woo hoo!! Woo hoo!!

That is all :)

Back
Top Bottom