Fishy smell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

c0mf0rt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I know this is kind of a dumb question.... but now when I stick my arm in the tank it comes out smelling fishy..... it didn't used to be that way..... is my water fouled?? All the measurements are dead on.. is there anything I can do to make my aquarium not smell like fish??? :oops:

Do you perform regular water changes? Do you use activated carbon for your filter? If you dont use carbon then running carbon for a week might clear it up. If your doing regular water changes then maybe increase the volume if it really bothers you.

I dont think its that big of an issue myself.

I don't really have a fishy smell to my tank at all. I have noticed it before and it was resolved with a water change. be sure to double check your water parameters (ammonia, nitrates and nitrites, etc.)

(also, moving this to the SW general forum)

Did you have cyano problem at all? I just upgraded my daughters tank after dealing with a cyano growth and EGADS what a smell. 8O

JG

Carbon filters and UV sterilizers will both help clear the water as well as remove smell. :) Just remember that your tank is a giant toilet for your fish, and unless you "flush" some water regularly, its going to smell... 8O

I do about a 10 gal water change a week........ looks like they're poopin more than I want.... :) ........ no real problems with algae though.......

Come to think of it, that's what Britta filters claim to do for tap water. "Removes odor from tap water." What is a Britta filter? Carbon! :p

Back
Top Bottom