Fisless cycling - nitrites spike

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dtnewbie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone,

I am new to this hobby.
I have 40gallons. It's on 6th week of cycling.
Every time(3 times) I add 2ppm ammonia, next 24hrs it went to 0.
Nitrites have been above 2ppm for 2 weeks. Nitrates been "red" over a week or so. I did WC 3 times(about 90%, 40%, 40%). After every time, nitrites dropped little bit then went back above 2ppm.

Is this normal for this phase? I've read some posts in here. Some experienced 3-5weeks during this phase. Others say too high nitrites may stall cycle. How do I know if my cycling is stalled?

Also do I need to add ammonia every day or every other day? I haven't done that. I only dosed 3 times for last 3 weeks.

Thank you

What you are seeing is fairly typical. The nitrite to 0 stage typically takes longer than the ammonia to 0 stage. Every cycle is different though.

2ppm nitrite isnt high. When people talk about high nitrites stalling a cycle they are talking about nitrite being so high it cant be measured. Even then im not sure that that is true. I generally like to keep things readable so tend to do water changes if nitrite gets higher than my test kit can read to bring it down a little.

You havent mentioned nitrate. Are you seeing any? That would be a good sign.

Redose ammonia to 2ppm every time it drops below 1ppm. In your case that seems to be daily.

Are you doing anything to assist your cycle? Using some established media from a cycled filter is a great idea if you know someone who could let you have some. Bottled bacteria like Dr Tims One and Only is a good alternative, but they are hit and miss and might not do anything. Bacteria growth is better at higher temperature. What do you have your tank at?

Thank you Aiken Drum.

Nitrates has been high (red) over a week.
pH is 7.6ish
Temp 82
I only use Dr. Tims One and Ony.

Thank you

If you are seeing nitrate then you are cycling, just not enough to cycle out all the nitrite to nitrate. You seem to be on track and its really just a waiting game. One day you will test for nitrite and see nothing.

You could try and turn the temperature up to 86, but really, i wouldn't bother now. Just let it run its course. I dont think you are far off now.

As to your question about knowing whether you are stalled. If you are dosing 2ppm ammonia, only seeing 2ppm of nitrite, and you are seeing nitrate coming out of the end you havent stalled your cycle. It just needs to progress a little more.

Thank you again Aiken Drum.

I think I need to be patience like everyone say. I just worry if everything ok or not since it's my first time.

Thank you

my tank finally cycled last Sunday. it took 8 weeks. Nitrites last 3.5 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom