Fisrt Coral Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spongeynip

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, I have all of my fish in my tank, and it has been running for almost 2 months now. I have started adding calcium and iodine now, and now I want to know when I can add my first coral (also have metal halide at 5w/gal in a 29 gal tank, is that too low? If so, what is the wattage at which all corals survive at?). I have already scoped out some corals at my lfs and I am planning on getting some zoo's, but how should I feed them the plankton stuff? Also, how long should I wait to get an anmone for my 2 perc clowns?

thanx
-trent

Lighting sounds good. Be very carefull adding iodine to a smaller tank. It does not take much to really cause a problem. It is never a good idea to add something to your tank that you do not test for. Zoos are a great starter coral. They should get enough food at tank feeding time. You can add some DT's plankton or Liquid Lfe Coral Plankton a couple of times a week if you want. I would wait several months before attempting an anemone, up to a year to be safe. They require very stable water parameters and a more established tank. Good luck with the corals...Lando

alright thanx, and dont worry bout the iodine, its really diluted and has specific dosage instructions

thanx
-trent

but unless you are testing for iodine and KNOW that you need it, you shouldn't dose any. I've never dosed iodine in my 40g breeder, and my 2 corals are doing just fine. If you use a quality salt mix, and follow regular water changes, iodine is probably not needed. It's the really cool reef tanks that are full of corals that require iodine, strontium, and lots of kalk dosing.

Please list the corals you have scoped out. 5wpg is pretty good for a lot of species, but not all. Get specific, and the coral gurus here will be able to better help you.

Careful on the iodine, it's very easy to overdose.

How may watts is your MH light? If you have at least 150W you should be able to handle a lot of corals if placed properly in your tank. Light demanding corals near top and center, low light corals off to the sides and or bottom. You have to account for flow also. Some corals require intense flow and some like low flow like mushrooms. Mushrooms do good in lower light and low flow areas.

alright, il quite the iodine (i just thought I needed it for shrimp). Let me see, though... I'll have to get back to you on the corals :wink:

I would stop the Calcium too unless you are testing for it. Most salt mixes will give you what you need unless you have a lot of Ca using corals(SPS and LPS).

With Ca you need to watch your Alkalinity too. They need to be in balance VS being at a specific level. If you are just dosing one, you will trhow the other out of whack.

Zoos, leathers, mushrooms, xenia, frogspawn, hammer are all pretty easy corals IMO. I'm keeping those w/3.5w per gallon.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom