Flakes or Pellets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmosher

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Quick question - What is everyone's preference between flakes or pellets? I'm assuming the pellets are cleaner. Just restarted my 55 gallon. Have 6 Tiger barbs and two Cory's in the tank right now just to get going. Plan on adding more fish next weekend. Did a fishless cycle. Am trying pellets, but the fish don't seem to be able to find them and they're still a bit nervous (it appears) having just been added them to the tank yesterday. Don't want to overfeed, but am finding it harder to see how much to put in... I know it's early and I'm probably being a bit paranoid. Just want to avoid overfeeding. :thanks:

I have a 50g community with Platys, Oto s, Cories & Angelfish. I feed flakes and pellets. Also algae discs, bloodworms every three days and daphnia occasionally. From what I ve read, variety is good. Plus, the Platys scarf down everything so fast that my hope is the other guys find the pellets.

I feed flakes and bloodworms. Your fish are probably still adjusting to the tank. Just put a few pellets in each day and see if they eat them. They will learn that when you come to the tank you will feed them. Also, they may not recognize the pellets as food yet. It's possible the LFS fed them flake.

First off, it depends on the type of species. I have had more luck with flakes for smaller species, but if you have large fish the pellets are better and more economical.

I use pellets as a staple, flakes once or twice a week, frozen foods as a treat once a week. Corys get shrimp pellets or algae or veggie wafers a few times a week. I pre-soak the foods in a spoon of tank water before adding it to the tank; this makes it sink right away so the fish can eat it on the way down rather than having to come to the surface (most of my fish are mid-lower level eaters though, so you might want to experiment to see what works).

Back
Top Bottom