Flame Moss [HELP]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lflores

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all!

Well, I am wanting to start growing Flame Moss in my aquarium, but I would like to get some advice from advanced planted tank owners.

I have some questions; My brother ordered Xmas moss like 5 months ago, it was looking dead when we received it in the mail. We threw it inside the tank to make it get some water. It looked dead for about 3 or 4 weeks. But while this was happening, my brother got some strain of the BBA (Black Bearded Algae).

I want to know if it will be okay for my fish to be around Flame Moss in the tank. I want to grow a full carpet all over the substrate, the whole area of the tank. If possible, I want it to take over the rocks and the ceramic ornament that I have.
I would also want to know how to clean or quarantine the moss, I want to make sure that I don’t introduce any kind of algae to my tank, it is very important to me. Since I started, I haven't had a single problem with algae or diseases with my fish.

I know I am asking too much, but I want to make my tank look good. I apprecieate everyone's help!

My tank is a 65 gallon with freshwater community fish, I have a variety of assorted plants.
-Substrate (gravel) -Natural River Rocks and a ceramic ornament
-3 bala sharks -3 mollys
-6 baby mollys -1 plattty
-1 red tail black shark -1 clown loach
-1 ghost shrimp -1 crystal catfish
-2 neon tetras -1 chinese algae eater

You will need a large amount of moss to cover a tank that large. Flame moss grows up and not side to side. Meaning, you will have to plant it on each surface you want it on; don't expect it to spread laterally. You could get away with planting a very thin layer of it; it will grow and fill in. It will continue to grow vertically so at some point your will need to give it a trim. That may get tiresome after a while.
I once had a small amount of flame moss (came attached to a half coconut shell from Petco) and after several months it filled about 2/3 of the volume of a 20g long. I was using a single 17w stock fluorescent tube. No ferts. That was years ago. Most of the original moss had died off or was given away.
Also, pretty much any kind of moss tends to become a dirt magnet. Periodically I would hold the siphon tube against it to suck up the debris. Good luck with this.

Why moss and not another carpeting plant?? Is there a particular reason?
I just want to have a carpet on my whole tank. I dont have the means to buy Co2 or any of the equipment to do like a professional system. Are there any other plants that I could use for carpeting?

You will need a large amount of moss to cover a tank that large. Flame moss grows up and not side to side. Meaning, you will have to plant it on each surface you want it on; don't expect it to spread laterally. You could get away with planting a very thin layer of it; it will grow and fill in. It will continue to grow vertically so at some point your will need to give it a trim. That may get tiresome after a while.
I once had a small amount of flame moss (came attached to a half coconut shell from Petco) and after several months it filled about 2/3 of the volume of a 20g long. I was using a single 17w stock fluorescent tube. No ferts. That was years ago. Most of the original moss had died off or was given away.
Also, pretty much any kind of moss tends to become a dirt magnet. Periodically I would hold the siphon tube against it to suck up the debris. Good luck with this.
So, in your own experience, what could I use to make my tank look prettier?

The careful use of rocks, driftwood, and substrate can go a long way to making a tank look interesting. Plants can be used to provide an accent the look. Go for a natural theme; I am not a fan of castles, ships, skulls, pirate themes, colorful gravel, etc. That's just my preference.
Lower lighting may limit your plant selection but there are quite a number of plants that will thrive. These include crypts, various mosses, anubias, java fern, dwarf sag, hornwort, and anarcharis. Hope this helps.
I would do a google search on aquarium scaping and layouts to get an idea of what looks appealing to you.

I REALLY agree with everything Fresh said. At one time, I did have good luck with a strain of dwarf sags in a medium light tank with no fertz but it took forever to spread.

If you do a hardscape to your liking as Fresh advised, you can experiment with plants that might carpet and just move them out as the plant grows, or leave in place if you aren't successful. Then try again. Patients is a virtue in this hobby :)

Back
Top Bottom