Flame Moss???? Where to get it???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corster

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've looked and looked for this stuff. The pet stores dont stock it, the only place I can find it is eBay and its 15 dollars for a 2/2 inch square of the stuff plus shipping and handling. Anyone know of a better price or supplier in the US? I would do it for cheaper if anyone on the forums can offer me a better price or if you have some where did you buy it from. I've never bought anything online so I'm wondering if plants can survive that long in a dark box.

Unfortunately as one of the newer plants, it's not going to be easy to get ahold of or inexpensive. Most people that are buying it right now are getting it by ordering internationally, which means they're either paying an arm and a leg or doing so illegally as the necessary permits etc are very expensive.

On a good note, mosses tend to survive shipping better than most plants and can easily last a week in an envelope as long as it isn't exposed to extreme temperatures.

Try Aquabid.com. I have bought previous moss from a dealer named AquaticMagic. He has reasonable prices and quick shipping.

hb3133 said:
Try Aquabid.com. I have bought previous moss from a dealer named AquaticMagic. He has reasonable prices and quick shipping.

But, since he is outside the US, your shipment (which is sure to lack the legally required phytosanitary certificate) will be subject to seizure and destruction should customs look at it, and you will be out whatever you paid.

Moss has traveled well over 12 days without issue.
It's nice moss, I namely keep Xmas "weed" moss and a few others.

Erect moss and Fissidens are nice also.
Keep them cool and lots of CO2,moderately to low light and they do well.

Regards,
Tom Barr

But, since he is outside the US, your shipment (which is sure to lack the legally required phytosanitary certificate) will be subject to seizure and destruction should customs look at it, and you will be out whatever you paid.

True but your paying so little, maybe a total price of $10 bucks, the risk is worth the gorgeous moss this dealer sells. I have had no problems with customs.

Vendors like AquaSpotWorld.com, who ship from Singapore, are familiar with US Customs laws and will provide the appropriate paperwork. They will also let you know right on their website if a plant you are considering cannot be sent to the US. I tend to believe that one or two people (out of ten's-of-thousands) had a problem that has gone from story, to legend, to tall tale.

hb3133 said:
True but your paying so little, maybe a total price of $10 bucks, the risk is worth the gorgeous moss this dealer sells. I have had no problems with customs.

Yes, but once you are caught, you get flagged, and all your subsequent pacakeges will be searched.

...and it is really not advised to publically counsel anyone to knowingly attempt to skirt federal customs law.

dapellegrini said:
Vendors like AquaSpotWorld.com, who ship from Singapore, are familiar with US Customs laws and will provide the appropriate paperwork. They will also let you know right on their website if a plant you are considering cannot be sent to the US. I tend to believe that one or two people (out of ten's-of-thousands) had a problem that has gone from story, to legend, to tall tale.

Yes, they employ transhippers, which means that they ship a large order (with a cert...which costs about $100) to a US transhipper, who then seperates the shipment into individual orders and reships to them...thereby following the law and splitting the permit costs amongst so many people that the additional cost on any individual order is pretty much negligible.

Back
Top Bottom