Flow Flow Flow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davebailey46

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can you guys give me some help/feedback on my current tank flow. The tank is a 72 gal w/ overflow and I cant seem to get the flow right with the obstruction of the overflow. Currently I have a 2 900 MJ on each side and a MJ1200 in the center on a rotating deflector. I should be pushing a total of 1200 GPH. I am fighting Cyano and need to keep flow in the dead corners? I am thinking about pushing the large formation on the right back almost to the glass (right now it is sitting forward of the overflow) leaving a large patch behind? or adding a another MJ?
Comments please?

Attachments

• img_0009.jpg
    img_0009.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 140
Thats a lot of flow in a 72 IMO... If you have cyno have you tested for PO4? It needs food to live. You do need low flow areas in a tank where fish, inverts can get a spot to take a break if they want. In the wild there are low flow areas. JMO

I have 2 MJ1200's and a Seio 620 in my tank. That combined with my main return I push about 1800 gph in my 75 gal. The swirl attachment you have on the back PH will reduce the flow from that one.

I have considered setting up a closed loop in my tank but a Seio 1500 might do the trick as well. I have SPS so flow is what I want.

Make sure you are testing your source water for PO4. I assume you are using RO/DI water? RO water won't always be enough. How old is your tank? The pic does not look too bad really.

HTH

I just did a tank transplant in Dec to this new sump/fuge setup...I am actually (hate to admit it) using tap water and aging it at min 4 days. From the tap however seachem test in reading Phos at .05 nitrates 10 (In tank 0, and 0) Don't worry I am already looking at an RODI system with tank...What is strange though with heavy skimming and macro in the fuge I am still having the cyano issue (where as I have studied several LFS setups including a very large well respected one) and not even one uses and form of RO or DI. Actually Baltimore City water is very good! I am guessing I should fight it as usual and let this new setup settle in....

Might just be a diatom bloom from the tank transplant. Some tap water might be good enough but most are not so lucky. Any PO4 from the source water can cause issues. I used tap water for years with no problems on a FO tank. Once I set up my reef tank, I had cyano bad. RO/DI fixed it.

HTH

Makes you wonder why a reef tank would have more cyano issues? I dont dose any suppliments...
Thanks for you help...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom