Fluval 12 Gallon Stocking Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaceracer11

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My girlfriend and I want to start our first aquarium, and we are looking for some advice on stocking. We know that the Fluval Edge 12 gal is not exactly the ideal tank due to its relatively small size and shape, but we love the aesthetics. Also, the smaller size is about all we have room for, so we are pretty sure this is the tank we want. We would prefer to have live plants in the tank, but we are waiting to plan this part out until we can settle on what fish we want.

We have been doing quite a bit of research on stocking it, but we can't seem to find the right combination of fish that we like. We originally wanted a goldfish but realize this tank is poorly suited for one, so we have moved on from that.

What we don't want is just a whole bunch of smaller fish, and we would like at least one relatively bigger "centerpiece" fish. We have read a lot, and are getting confused because there appear to be a lot of sources saying very different things. The more opinions the better!

These are our ideas right now, please let us know what you think would be best for our tank and compatible together because we are still very inexperienced. :cool: Also if you could advise on how many/what kind of snails/shrimps/cleanup fish would go well with the combination you suggest that would be much appreciated:

• two dwarf cichlids

• one dwarf cichlid and a couple (or small school) of other fish

• one dwarf gourami and a couple other fish

Thank you for your help, and please be as specific as possible because we are obviously still learning.

Never kept cichlids but I have a dwarf gourami myself. They are awesome fish with a ton of personality, but they are hit or miss on health. They have been heavily inbred in the hobby and have this thing called dwarf gourami disease and they either have it or don't from the start If I'm not mistaken. But it shows up out of nowhere. I was lucky, I have a pair of them I've had for almost two years and they're very healthy.

They also appreciate a lot of plants including floating plants. I have a tone of water lettuce in my tank.

This is my male, taken yesterday

http://i.imgur.com/6Dgt28q.jpg

29g Community

3g Betta

That's good to know thanks for that. Your gourami looks amazing, I love this fish! Do you think he would be comfortable in the tank, and would there be any other fish you would recommend as far as compatibility goes? I'm not exactly sure if adding anything else would be pushing it, but I'm hoping we could.

I take back the recommendation of a gourami as they are anabantoids that need access to air to be healthy/happy/safe. I don't know the exact design of the edge as I've never owned one but it seems as there's not much surface space.They have an organ in them I forget the name that allows them to breath atmospheric oxygen.
Apologies.

Maybe someone else will chyme in on what's a good non schooling fish for a 12g.

29g Community

3g Betta

I take back the recommendation of a gourami as they are anabantoids that need access to air to be healthy/happy/safe. I don't know the exact design of the edge as I've never owned one but it seems as there's not much surface space.They have an organ in them I forget the name that allows them to breath atmospheric oxygen.
Apologies.

Maybe someone else will chyme in on what's a good non schooling fish for a 12g.

29g Community

3g Betta

Okay great, well that's a slight disappointment, but this is exactly the type of thing we're trying to find out. Better now then later so thanks!

Does anyone have an opinion on the combination of Apistogramma cacatuoides - 1 pair (not sure on what genders) and 4 white cloud minnow? We've had that suggestion.

The apistos need a 20 long aquarium minimum. So no to that I think.

Here's a good link for some small fish that would be in better proportion to your tank. In other words won't feel/look cramped.

29g Community

3g Betta

You could do a betta, shrimp, and some neons or harlequins also as long as you kept the water level down or maintained low flow for the betta. A DG could be put in place of the betta too.

Back
Top Bottom