Fluval Edge Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ah! If bio-Max can't fit. No way in **** matrix can fit.. Hmm The filter will be enough to handle a Betta though right? :D

Handle as far as keeping it clean or cycling it? The seeded media I used basically insta-cycled it, but of course nothing is going to handle the ammo and no2 without having the beneficial bacteria in there. Do you have some nice, dirty mechanical filter pads you can take a pair of scissors to and fit in there? As for actual filtration, I think it's ideal because it doesn't cause enough of a current to make the little guy unhappy. He's cheerfully swimming along right next to me as I type :)

eco23 said:
Handle as far as keeping it clean or cycling it? The seeded media I used basically insta-cycled it, but of course nothing is going to handle the ammo and no2 without having the beneficial bacteria in there. Do you have some nice, dirty mechanical filter pads you can take a pair of scissors to and fit in there? As for actual filtration, I think it's ideal because it doesn't cause enough of a current to make the little guy unhappy. He's cheerfully swimming along right next to me as I type :)

Aww Ur Betta sounds like he's filled with personalty. I have a dirty poly-fibre. Wille that be sufficient as a seed?

Aww Ur Betta sounds like he's filled with personalty. I have a dirty poly-fibre. Wille that be sufficient as a seed?

You might be able to squeeze it in between the two pads it came with. I'd just be worried about that stuff getting everywhere and I wouldn't put it in by itself.

I run poly-fil in my canister filter, and it has a tendency to find it's way into the other media even though I have it in the bottom basket of my 405. I also replace it weekly so I don't think it has much of an opportunity to harbor BB. If you can find a way to secure it in there...anything is better than nothing.

Also, the thing evaporates water like you wouldn't believe. Almost every day I have to top it off. It's a good idea to have a jug of dechlorinated water sitting around for top-offs in between water changes.

eco23 said:
You might be able to squeeze it in between the two pads it came with. I'd just be worried about that stuff getting everywhere and I wouldn't put it in by itself.

I run poly-fil in my canister filter, and it has a tendency to find it's way into the other media even though I have it in the bottom basket of my 405. I also replace it weekly so I don't think it has much of an opportunity to harbor BB. If you can find a way to secure it in there...anything is better than nothing.

Also, the thing evaporates water like you wouldn't believe. Almost every day I have to top it off. It's a good idea to have a jug of dechlorinated water sitting around for top-offs in between water changes.

Sweet! I'll grab one from my canister filter. I have changed that for about 2-3 weeks! Ya I've read that water evaporates like crazy. So I'm guessing this is a hoodless tank. Doesn't it worry u that Ur Betta may jump.

Sweet! I'll grab one from my canister filter. I have changed that for about 2-3 weeks! Ya I've read that water evaporates like crazy. So I'm guessing this is a hoodless tank. Doesn't it worry u that Ur Betta may jump.

He's pretty chill. He swims all over the place, and likes to park himself on top of the Water Sprite halfway out of the water, but I haven't seen him freak or show any signs he wants to leave. He got spooked when loud, drunken people walked past him on the 4th of July, but he swam down to the bottom as opposed to hanging out on the surface.

A little tip for your canister...my top basket has random pieces of mechanical filter in there simply to be used as seeding material if needed. The Fluval 405 has 4 trays (2 in each for 8 total compartments). My bottom basket has poly-fil in each side, middle two baskets have all bio-max, and the top has different pieces of media...some even from my old HOB that have yet to fall apart. That way I've got a little treasure trove of different bacteria laden media if I ever need it.

Back
Top Bottom