Fluval FX6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

King Fisher

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anyone have experience with a Fluval FX6 on a 150-180g tank? Would it take one or two of these for a 180g? Reliability? Ease of use?

KF
I thoroughly researched both the FX4 and FX6, when I set up my 120 long. Petsmart was having a sale on both at the time. I inspected the FX6 and noticed that it is roughly the same size as the sand filters sold with kids 500 gal. Swimming pools. The FX4 though smaller, was still huge.
The only canister filter I ever used was the old Marineland 330, on a 58 gal. Oceanic tank. It was more than enough filtration. The FX6 looked at least 3x the size of the old 330. I'm certain that the FX4 along with regular weekly WC would be enough filtration for a 150 - 180 tank. The FX6 might be a little over kill, IMO.
My old M330, was very inconvenient to clean, and I was in constant worry of a leak. Both the FX models look to be big improvements over mine, but still are likely a PIA to clean.
I went with 2 AC 110's. Simply for the ease and convenience of maintenence. My guess is an FX6 would be like having 4 AC 110's.

Thanks man. Generally I run about 3x the filtration on my tanks because I max them out on my stocking. I have a guy who owns a FX6 on a 100g at my local lfs talking it up saying it was better than a sump. I've never owned an FX6 or FX4.

Im pretty sure a quality sump system provides the ultimate filtration. I've never had a sump and am not sure if I'm smart enough to construct one. I'd go with an FX6. Lol.

Im pretty sure a quality sump system provides the ultimate filtration. I've never had a sump and am not sure if I'm smart enough to construct one. I'd go with an FX6. Lol.
Lol. No kidding. Just watching Bandit's build I was like wtf is he doing. I would definitely have to learn about plumbing.

No hands on experience with fx6, but after researching it on uTube + my not thrilling experience of running sump the fluval is my target setup for my 125gal as I plan on moving the tank and rebuilding . Pair of AC110 are dealing with filtration perfectly, the reason I'm thinking canister is inline heaters and CO2 injection.

Anton
The 125 is such a long tank. Might be a good idea to keep the AC 110's going, and add either one of the FX canisters. Now that would be a filtration system that might rival a sump.

Thanks for the note V.
Indeed it is long. I'm still researching how others place their otflow and inflow. I would really want to keep the equipment outside as much as possible. those intake tubes of AC's don't look good at all, but i can indeed resort to that if the FX fails to provide all the flow. I still have time to make thw decision though )

Regards!

Back
Top Bottom