Fluval Stratum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blert

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anyone have any experience with this stuff?

I'm In the process of researching to plant my tank and am looking for a dark substrate that the plants will be happy in. (Not really interested in PFS because I live in Florida and have to look at tan-ish sand all the time.) I was drawn to the Stratum as it kind of looks like mud from some other place not Florida. ;)

How is it during vacuuming time?

The bag says don't use with diggers. Would cories count as diggers? They shuffle around a lot but do they really dig in the substrate?

usually with sand u will try to be about 1/4 inch above the sand and well if u want something good as the substrate and cheap i mean really cheap u could use dirt miracle grow organic choice its pretty good and it wont harm ur fish and ur plants will do great

I have not used it personally but I did hear that you should not vacuum it because the little balls break and get sucked up. Can anyone speak to this?

Ok, I don't like this stuff. It's dirty, breaks down quickly and leaves you with little white bits in your nice dark substrate. When you move stuff around it makes clouds of very fine crud that then settles on your plants and stuff. I'm forever cleaning off my plants. The crud also gets ejected into the water column by my bubbler. I'm going to get rid of it and go straight sand or maybe Eco-Complete as I have two bags in the garage. Not going to change until I get my 40g set up as it will be easier to put the fish in there while I make the switch.

Tip: When using this stuff DO NOT bury your bubble stones.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom