Flying Foxes vs. Otocinclus???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MonkeyMonk86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was told by the LFS that I was buying Otocinclus. I got home and no true "sucker mouth". I checked the receipt and it said Flying Foxes.

I wanted otos b/c of brown algae and b/c they are peaceful. Also, my close vision is too bad to count the number of barbells.

What will 2 flying foxes be like?

They will be going in a 29 gallon tank with:

3 nippy danios (that I may or may not school b/c I don't like nippy)

3 peaceful sparkling gourami ( I'd like to get 1-3 more)

5 "emerald cory"

4 julii (or false julii, I still have to classify them)

Will these flying foxes be aggressive?
Nippy?
Will they eat brown algae?
Should I return them?

I just finished drip acclimating them and they are so scared. I think returning them might kill them.

Edited:
Additional Question: Why are sucker mouth catfish marked "caution" with platties?

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

I returned the fish. The store gave a refund. The lady said the supplier labeled them Flying Fox Otocinclus. I explained a FF can grow to 6" and be aggressive and that true otos grow to be only 2" and are peaceful.

It must be very difficult to be in the fish store business dependent on shippers who inaccurately the stock.

Wow those flying fox are expensive. You can buy a lot of otos for that price. Anyways, glad you solved things and worked it out with the LFS.

Yes, they took them back, no problem. I was grateful! Big difference between 6" fish and 2" fish in a 29 gallon tank.

Those were not flying fox. They were siamese algae eaters (SAE) and are the only fish known to eat black beard algae (BBA). SAE are peaceful but flying foxes are not. Flying foxes don't eat much algae. The difference in appearance is easily found on google. SAE grow to 4 inches and are sold at Petco for around $2.50 per 1.5-inch specimen.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom