Flying Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lotocus

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well, more like falling Pleco. Woke up this morning and checked my tank, but couldn't find my 5 inch common Pleco. I looked and looked, but couldn't find him so I turned on the light - still nothing. Then I looked behind the tank and sure enough there he was on the floor. I thought for sure he had been there half the night and was long gone, but when I went to scoop him up he moved. So I put him back in the tank. He was very lathargic, but breathing. The Tiger Barbs started picking on him so I scooped him up again and quickly placed him in the 20 gallon tank we have set up (the 75 gallon tank is new and we are still in the process of migrating the fish over).

He's been getting better all day and now looks okay. So I guess I'll leave him in the 20 gallon alone for a week or so to help him recover. Is there anything else I should do or look out for?

Needless to say I closed up any gaps in my hood. I didn't realize Plecos were such escape artists.

Wow. That is quite a pleco.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

He's not looking so good. Skin is coming off and he's lost most of his dorsal and tail fins. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413032210.350295.jpg

Aww :( I don't know much about how to treat that, hopefully someone more knowledgeable can chime in...

That's unfortunate. Catfish are referred to as being scaleless. They aren't really, but their scales are very tiny and fine, and thus they have quite sensitive skin, like loaches.

I don't know if this poor guy can survive or not. Obviously keep the water pristinely clean, and hope. Don't use salt, they are sensitive to it and with skin damage it would be worse yet to use salt. If you can get Indian Almond Leaves, a few of them in the tank might help, the tannins are soothing and they have antibacterial properties too. Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom