Food for CAE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodlucky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My Chinese algae eater has appeared to have eaten most of the algae off my 40 gallon. I try to feed him algae wafers but all the other fish keep finding it first. I know about the zucchini but my most convenient grocery store just closed up and I don't know how I could convince my mom to get me a zucchini without having to pay for it myself which I can't really afford at the moment (I'm in high school btw.) So are there any other solutions to feeding my CAE

Hi Bob!

Sorry I don't have alternative solutions for food to feed your CAE but I will mention that zucchini generally only costs between $1-$2 per pound so you could get a pretty decent amount for just a few dollars.

Thanks! I guess what I could do is distract the fish so the CAE can find the sinking foods but he'd still take much too long to find the tablet

I love how Petco gave no warnings about this in the fish identification labels underneath the tanks, even about the part that they eat nearly anything alive once they become adults

Yup! Best just to rely on your own personal research when buying fish.

Take smooth aquarium safe rocks. Put into shallow pan of water. Put in the sun. Wait a couple of days. Voila ! CAE food.

They can also eat Romaine lettuce or you can offer the Algae wafers at night after lights out.

What they eat depends on their age, they only eat algae as juveniles. You can drop the wafers after lights out which helps keep the other fish off of them. I don't know what kind of fish you have, but mine tear up the wafers leaving pieces all over & my CAE's eat that. Also, I've noticed with mine now that they're a year old they come out & eat the fish pellets when they fall to the tank floor. I feed mine cucumber once or twice a week, I buy one, cut it up & stick it in the freezer, take a slice or two out when I need it, one cucumber isn't very expensive & with freezing it, one will last a long time. I don't think you have to worry too much about them getting food, they seem to scavenge pretty well.

Cucumber is usually more common than Zuchinni and works just as well in my experience.

Back
Top Bottom