Food for urchin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BTA

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I never planned on having an urchin. I guess this guy hitchhiked on my rock when I got it 1.5 years ago!! First time I am seeing this urchin. It is moving on the walls. It is 1.5", black/dark brown body with pinkish/brownish cone-shaped spikes (thick at bottom and sharp on top). No rings, stripes, or other colors on it.

Can I touch it or will it sting? Should I feed it? What to feed and How to feed it without touching???

TIA

I wouldn't touch it unless you know what kind it is. Some are venemous or at the very least a spine can break off in your skin and cause an infection.
I have 4 in my tanks (1 tuxedo, 2 pincushion and another large back one, don't know what kind) and they are perfectly happy cleaning the sides of the tank and my rock. I do once a week, give them a piece of nori. They seem to like it, but I don't think you need to feed them. I have a long grabbing tool, I feed them with that.
Enjoy, I love my urchins!! :)

I wouldnbt worry about feeding it since its been your tank for a year and a half.

Isnt it cool how things exist in our tanks and we dont even know about it?

Back
Top Bottom