Foods your fish like

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
Seen a few threads on what's best food for your fish but what do your fish like? Any odd food preferences??

Just watched the angelfish swim past the brine shrimp and two fish-food pellet types to get to an algae wafer. Way too big for him but he was determined to get it.

Not all my community fish generally like everything equally except flakes. I need to grind a portion of them up so the smaller danios and tetras can get at them.
Tiny bug bites are the favourite of the Danios and ruby tetras, but the other ones won't touch them. Dried brine shrimp cut up into various sizes work to some extent but they seem to be the fav of the dwarf gouramis. Frozen blood worms cut up for the gouramis but they won't eat a lot of them. Cut up dried blood worms seem to be liked by all.
Cut up mysis shrimp [emoji494] don't seem to be liked by many but it's best to soak them 1st.
Plecos I assume eat anything that hits the bottom, along with frozen zucchini and cucumbers and algae wafers. Algae flakes may have been a mistake in buying, as I don't see them being consumed to any big degree.
As you can see I am running a restaurant in order to provide diversity in diet and to cater to those picky eaters.
As such I proactively vacuum ever other day and collect about 5% of the water between the standard 20% biweekly water changes as a lot of food is missed as it falls. Fortunately it's only 45 gallons so it's not a lot of hardship.

I used to feed all my fish New Life Spectrum(NLS) sinking pellets. A few years ago they changed the formulation and while most fish were fine but some started refusing it.

I recently switched to North Fin sinking pellets and adoption is much higher. I have no idea why, but the NF fed fish also leave less visible waste behind.

I have heard that NLS is in the process of changing their formulations again. I will probably try that again once those start to hit the shelf.

I feed Tetra Cichlid Floating pellets / Omega One Flakes, but the one all the fish totally tear up
Is Omega One Super Color sinking Cichlid Pellets. The pellets are tiny. I initially bought it to entice a new finicky Red Texas Cichlid to eat. "A finicky Texas Cichlid?". It worked.

I feed cobalt tropical flake. Nls pellets, frozen foods including spirulina brine shrimp, mysis, Daphnia, bloodworms, plankton and freeze dried blackworm. Who gets what varries. I have a mixed reef sw, few sa/.ca cichlids and a couple fw puffers. All require certain foods.

Geeze, my fish eat everything. I put in an algae wafer and the tetras go down there to battle it out with the plecos that are four times bigger than them. I saw an amano shrimp steal one once and carry it off. I put in pellets and there's a feeding frenzy. I do flake and it's the same. Freeze dried worms--great! Frozen brine shrimp--the best! Heaven knows they're not starving--not literally anyway--but they sure act like it.

NLS flakes at the moment. They don't care too much about the FD stuff. I tried the 1 mm North Fin pellets but they are too big for my nano fish's mouths.
Thinking about ordering some flakes from Kens.

My keyhole looooves the betta pellets I have, not so much his expensive cichlid pellets. The guppies like to grab them and run, but they eat everything.

I feed flake food and repashy and every other day I give them white worms as a snack. They didn't go for the white worms at first but now they love them.

My community consists of 7 various platy, 5, neon tetra, and 3 female molly. I feed them the Omega One Color Pellets every morning, and at night I go down the line and feed them something different every night. There's tropical flakes, baby shrimp, blood worms, and algae wafers. I've also given then shelled snow peas a couple of times. They seem to love it all!

Attachments

• 20170913_093207.jpg
    20170913_093207.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 77
Back
Top Bottom