Found a discarded tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QTOFFER

Aquarium Advice Addict
What luck! I was in my parent's neighborhood today, and someone a few blocks away had an All Glass 29 gal aquarium and iron stand on the curb for disposal! Meanwhile, the two baby koi angelfish I bought at my fish club auction in March are quickly outgrowing the 15 gal that I have them in. This tank would make a fantastic angelfish aquarium.

Right now, it's set up and filled on my parent's patio while I check it for leaks. None so far. There are no cracks scratches, or chips, and the seals look good

My only concern is that the owners cut the top frame several inches from the right side. It was done very carefully with a dremel tool. Why would they have done this, and do you think it will affect the structural integrity of the tank? If I fill the cut with Gorilla glue while the tank is empty, would that eliminate any cause for concern?

I've attached pics of the tank/stand, an inside view of the top frame cut, and an outside view of the cut.

Attachments

• img_2589.jpg
    img_2589.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 197
  • img_2588.jpg
    img_2588.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 194
  • img_2587.jpg
    img_2587.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 78
Sweet!
Maybe they had to replace the trim? But as far as that goes as long as the trim around all the corners is in place then I wouldnt worry about it.. its all glued down tight right?

Very nice catch! The Gorilla glue should do nicely to patch it up....the trim actually does little for integrity when it is not one that incorporates a centre-brace. Strange that they would cut it, though...can't imagine a reason why.

just to stray a bit, you mention koi angelfish....what exactly are those?

When I first saw the tank, I thought it was a 20 long. The tank dimensions are 30 inches wide, 12 inches deep, and 18 inches high. I checked on the All Glass website, and they matched up with a standard 29. :D

When I left my parent's house this evening, the tank had been filled for 5 hours - still no leaks! :multi: I covered it with a piece of plywood, so the stupid squirrels don't drown in it - not that I love squirrels, but I don't want to be the one who has to fish out a dead one. :p Next week, I'll clean it out, and my dad volunteered to strip, prime, and repaint the metal stand.

Sandpaper works, but it gives you tendinitis. Wire wheels mounted on an electric drill do the job faster. I think my dad uses a solvent called 'liquid sandpaper'. It's very flammable and the fumes make you loopy - really should be used outdoors.

My dad has done a fantastic job stripping and repainting his grill and some metal planters. That tank stand will look brand new when he's done with it. But don't worry, he's not doing ANYTHING on Father's Day! :D

krap101 said:
ic. where do you get the sand for sandblasting? and isnt there a mess afterwards?

You buy it from a sandblasting supply....really cheap. Yes, the mess....which is why you do it somewhere other than at home. :wink:

krap101 said:
ic. where do you get the sand for sandblasting? and isnt there a mess afterwards?

Blasting grit is a construction supply item.. if not an HD item then I would check the equipment rental place.. clean up isnt that bad its just sand..

If you dont want to rent a sand blaster I would get the sand paper marked emory cloth.. you could also use a chemical stripper to get the paint off.. personaly I think blasting or stripper would be faster.. I would check into wich one is cheaper.. or if you want to have the fun of blasting!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Back
Top Bottom