Found a snail today w/o his shell!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Civicman86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok So i see this thing on one of my rocks. I take a small pole and tap it an it moves. it turns around and I notice that it is a snail! At first i thought maybe it was a turbo snail but I counted all 4 still having their shells. Then I thought maybe it was one of my nass. snails. Well it doesnt even look like one. (doesnt have the snorkel). The guy is white/beige and has like a very small hint of like a green shell developing. He is pretty large maybe 1/4'' long so I know he is not a new born. Anyone know what it is? If I can find him tomorrow I will snap a pic.

Stomatella varia. It's a great hitchhiker. It grazes on algae and detrius and readily reproduce in tank. :D

fishfreek said:
Its more than likly what Fluff said. Here is a photo of one on this website you can confirm and also obtain some additional info.

http://www.reefs.org/hhfaq/pages/main_pages/faq_rock2.htm

That looks like him :)

EDIT: Now looking through that site IM wondering if it was a limpet. The snail was out while the lighjts were on. It looked like a white clump on my rock and thats why i touched it. I thought it was a piece of coral lol. Anyways he quickly turned around. The pic on the site has them really green. This guy had a very faint look of green on his back but nothing like that picture. These good or bad? HE was never on the glass so I dont really know what his under body looks like.

limpets are normally flat cone shaped. I'm gonna stick with my first guess though. The stomatella varia isn't always green. They can be pale/white and I've even seen them brown, almost black. I wouldn't worry.

Back
Top Bottom