Found this after getting some live rock....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cubswin17

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I bought some more live rock and had it in a bucket before placement in my tank. I found this guy and a couple more like him in the bucket after a few minutes. Now I'm worried about putting the rock in my tank since I have no idea what this is (sorry, I'm a newbie). Can somebody help me out with some I.D. on this thing and whether or not it's dangerous and bad for my tank. My tank is nothing but fish and live rock. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• image-2268630520.jpg
    image-2268630520.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 102
I hate them ha I get rid of them when I see them they can just get extremely large. We pulled one out of my friends tank it was an easy 2 ft

Looks like a fireworm to me. Check pictures of both to see which matches best as fireworms are not safe

melosu58 said:
It`s a bristle worm. IMO a great janitor for your tank.

Wow, thanks for the quick reply! Glad to hear that they are ok. Not knowing what this stuff is thats crawling out of my rocks is freaking me out! Maybe I should just relax a bit! LOL. Thanks for the help!

Ibrahim said:
Looks like a fireworm to me. Check pictures of both to see which matches best as fireworms are not safe

I'll check them both out! Any advice on how to get rid of them if I happen to have them?

A pic of a bristle worm

bristleworm2.jpg

melosu58 said:
A pic of a bristle worm

Hmmmm.... I'm not sure what it is after looking at the pic??? Maybe it's best to leave it out. I'm a little concerned that the rock I've bought and placed in the tank already may have had some as well since I got it from the same place. Anyone with advice on how to get rid of them?

When in doubt leave it out! I always see carey say that lol. So I'll make sure she gets credit for it!

But you can take panty hose and an inch diameter of PVC pipe or something and put the end of the pant hose so it's like a panty hose cave lol. Then put some food in there and usually the bristle worm will go after it. It takes a couple of times usually.

hiltymj said:
When in doubt leave it out! I always see carey say that lol. So I'll make sure she gets credit for it!

But you can take panty hose and an inch diameter of PVC pipe or something and put the end of the pant hose so it's like a panty hose cave lol. Then put some food in there and usually the bristle worm will go after it. It takes a couple of times usually.

Sounds like some good advice! Thank you and Carey!
If I see any sign of them in my tank I'll try the panty hose trick... My wife's going to be mad though! LOL!

Back
Top Bottom