FoxFace and Yellow Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baron1282

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I decided to put my new Yellow Foxface Lo into my tank today, and things went smoothly for the acclimation part.

I turned off the lights on the tank, and for the most part the fish are leaving the new guy alone, but not my Yellow Tang.

Nope, the Tang decided it was time to attack. He is whipping the poor fish with his tail barb. Not too much, he does leave my new guy alone, but when he sees him he is going after him. It's not like the Foxface can't hide.

I guess my question is, I know that some aggression is going to be normal, but when should I start to do something about it? How long should I let the fish work out their differences? I know the pecking order needs to be put into place, but I don't want this fish to die. I would rather take it back and try something else, than to have it die on me.

Right now the tank is dark. I don't want to move any rocks, but I know where the Tangs spot is and I can move the one rock around. This is the first time I have had any aggression. I was not expecting it from my Tang. I thought my Lyretail wrasse would be the issue, not the tang.

It would seem adding this guy did more than just upset my Yellow Tang, my Lyretail Wrasse is now going after my coral beauty. I turned off all the lights now and it's completely black.

Hope by tomorrow all the craziness will be gone.

Last edited:
Just an update.

My guy seems to be doing fine today. All the color is back and he is swimming around exploring.

My other fish seem to leave him alone now. I watched for about an hour and only some minor chasing. He is swimming next to the Tang and the Tang does not seem to mind now. So that's good!

I poor guy, he has had a rough few days. I am sure he was pulled out of the ocean a few weeks ago and shipped the day before I bought him, and than thrown in a bag again and taken to my place. So it's good to see him out and about swimming around my tank looking somewhat happy. He ate when I put food in, so that's good.

Anytime with a yellow tang it get kind of hairy. But after a few days they calm down. Glad to hear everything is doing fine.

He is still stressed. I researched him before buying. I know my tank is not a peaceful tank, but I read and was told that a Foxface would be fine due to his poisonous dorsal fins.

I am away for the weekend now, so I can't watch the fish. So I hope they will have everything worked out by Monday. If he is still being bullied and is not stress free, I will take him back.

I would rather loose money on a fish than have a dead fish again.

My yellow tang and foxface are inseparable but I added my yellow tang last. I don't have any aggression issues between them though I'd just give it time and sure it will settle down.

I think it's settled down. The only issue I am picking up from what my wife says is that he is not eating. I know that can only last a few days due to stress, but it's kind of makes me worry.

I know he is not a meat eater and I think that's the issue. I told my wife to feed the omnivore cube today and watch him. He did eat the sea weed I put in when I was home.

He also goes into a cave he calmed when food is presented. It's like he is scared of the other fish when eating. I know that he is still stressed. How long would you guys suggest to leave him in to see if everything works itself out before pulling him and taking back for credit so he won't die?

Last edited:
It can take a week or two for a fish to settle plus foxfaces do eat meat they will eat meat and veg. If fish aren't eating mix the food with garlic, mine go crazy

Yeah, it's weird. He is swimming around now, and he swims around with the Yellow Tang close by, without any attacking. He is eating now, I do have omnivore diet food as well. I feed my fish frozen mysis, brine, krill, plankton, squid, and clams every day. Not all at once! I mix it all up, and I add some pellets or flakes for an all around diet.

I feed once a day. I also will put a seaweed clip in twice a week and they all attack it! I need to find a better clip. They attack it so much they rip it off and it floats around my tank all day. LOL I leave it in because my Urchin takes care of the rest.

Back
Top Bottom