Foxface death = Candy Cane and Bubble Coral issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chirp

Aquarium Advice Activist
The flesh on my candy cane coral is deteriorating. I started with 2 heads, and within 2 years it had a total about 16 heads. Now the green flesh is melting away. Also, my bubble corals started deteriorating around the same time. This all started about over a month ago when I presumed my foxface died. I couldn't find it's body and I presumed it parished and it's body was behind the rockwork. A couple of days later, I noticed that both of these corals weren't doing so well. Then another 7-10 days later, I noticed what I think are the bones of the foxface slowing coming out from behind the rocks where my candy cane and bubble coral are placed. I'm wondering if the decaying of the foxface caused these 2 corals to die. All my other corals (hammers, torches, acans, chalices, acros, zoas, open brain, button) are doing well in my 60gallon. All the water prams are fine (ph is a little low, but it's been like that since day one). The only other change during that time was that the water temp starting going up b/c of the weather to 81-82 before the chiller kicked in. So could the death of the foxface have done this to my 2 corals?

how big is your tank? considering the size of a foxface (whether a juvi or a full grown adult), that's a chunk of nitrate/phosphate mess when it dies. the parameters will certainly cause damage to your corals, especially when the skeletal remain of the foxface is so close to the corals.

I doubt it is the cause. Especially if your acropora are still fine. Was there a spike in po4 or nitrates?

how big is your tank? considering the size of a foxface (whether a juvi or a full grown adult), that's a chunk of nitrate/phosphate mess when it dies. the parameters will certainly cause damage to your corals, especially when the skeletal remain of the foxface is so close to the corals.

60gals (48" long) with a 20gal sump.

I doubt it is the cause. Especially if your acropora are still fine. Was there a spike in po4 or nitrates?

the acro is near the top and about 2 feet away from the bubble coral. I was on a trip when the foxface died, so I don't know the exact day it died. It could have been 1-5 days. When I checked, there was no amonia, nitrate, or phos spike. I have gfo, skimmer, and chaeto in my sump.

How's the alkalinity? Doesn't seem like that would be the issue since everything else is ok, but it's worth checking

Back
Top Bottom