Fresh fishkeeper - eager learner/researcher

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dagnir

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone!

I'm quite new to the whole community, so I just wanted to say hi while getting more and more information on how to keep my lovely fish happy. :fish1::fish1:

I'm quite good with online research, but I might end up calling for your help once in a while; and hopefully support new members when I get the required experience.

I have a 25L tank with 6 Guppies, 2 male and 4 female.
Also 4 shrimps, 1 zebra snail and loads of smaller ones as my trusty cleaning crew. :cool:
Few ornaments and a healthy amount of live plants for decoration/amazement.
Heater set at 24C, and a filter running at all times. The water runs a bit hotter than that though, not sure how to drop it but it never goes higher than 27, so I'm not that concerned; yet.

Fish introduced gradually after a fishless cycle, June 2017.

Not sure what I'll end up doing with the young ones when they come.... :/
I can't really afford a second tank for them, and even if I did I'll need a third when they give birth again.. xD
Anyway, I thought I'd leave the cycle of life do its thing, but maybe it'll affect all of them and end up losing all of them?

All good so far, I'm testing the water quality with 5in1 API strips (the proper liquid one was a bit too expensive for my budget). Slightly higher hardness than I'd like to be, I might have to deal with it if it gets worse.

I was feeding them the classic flakes and bought today some packs of bloodworms and shrimp food to give them some variety once a week each.

Feeding is a small portion every morning and another small one before we go to sleep.

I turn the filter off to give them some time to eat in peace, but not sure if it's required.

That's all I think, any input from you will be much appreciated.

Welcome!

I run all my tanks around 27c during the warmer part of the year. Unless you have cold water fish it isn't anything to worry about. Still plenty of oxygen available at those temps.

How hard is your water?

Are the small ones some form of pest snails? If so, keep an eye on them. If the population gets too large the bio-load may spike up. It would also be a sign that something is wrong like too much excess food being available for the snails.

Welcome!

I run all my tanks around 27c during the warmer part of the year. Unless you have cold water fish it isn't anything to worry about. Still plenty of oxygen available at those temps.

How hard is your water?

Are the small ones some form of pest snails? If so, keep an eye on them. If the population gets too large the bio-load may spike up. It would also be a sign that something is wrong like too much excess food being available for the snails.

Hi guys!

Dalto, thanks for the input!
I'll stop worrying for the temp then, it's not even at 27 yet, and it doesn't get too hot in the UK anyway.

The snails I thought it was a good sign, I had no idea they might be pests!
I'm regulating my feeding better now so I was expecting them to start to drop anyway.

The water was somewhere between 120 and 180, colour-coded strips are not the most accurate method I'm afraid..

Welcome!!! And you don't need to turn your filter off at anytime honestly. Running water over the beneficial bacteria in your filter will be much happier and healthy this way too :)

Thanks!

Yes, I keep it on always, I was just wondering if you guys feed them with the filter running.

It seems to sink the flakes almost immediately, so I started turning it off while feeding for 1-2 minutes to give the guys some time to eat.

-----

Other than that, it's been an eventful couple weeks. Two of my females dies off I'm afraid. No signs of sickness whatsoever (and I've been doing a LOT of reading and photo hunting on this), only a sluggish swimming pattern during their last couple days.
Water conditions still fine, if not even better on the hardness front.

Good news is that we have 7-8 cute little fries swimming around happily, as do their 4 remaining potential parents.

So despite the unfortunate losses, everyone else seem to be unaffected.

Back
Top Bottom