Fresh Meat Guys - Could Use Some Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can I get some help? We came home today and there is a light brown film over the lr and sand. Is that algae? We are cycling n had the light on.... Is that why and what should we do to fix it?

Attachments

• image-4224969238.jpg
    image-4224969238.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 96
its algae that grows on new tanks, most people would use a CUC to eat get rid of it, but if your still cycling, you could just leave the light off to prevent further grown. The algae will die off in a week or two on its own also so don't worry too much

i would not be putting coral in the tank right now- especially sps. it will not live through the cycle.
yes, everyone gets the new tank uglies. the diatom bloom will leave as fast as it came.

Quick Question. Is there a reputable website to get a clean up crew from? Im looking at reefcleaners.org, any other good website since IM in Cali and they look to ship from FL!

Melissa716 said:
Quick Question. Is there a reputable website to get a clean up crew from? Im looking at reefcleaners.org, any other good website since IM in Cali and they look to ship from FL!

I've used liveaquaria.com and the have a nice selection and they have ready made sets acording to the siE of tank you have and you van also custom build a crew bur they are a bit pricey.

i would not go with the recommended "ready made" cleanup crews. in most cases there are way too many creatures for the size tanks, and also the additions of things like sand sifting stars which will surely starve to death.

you don't need a cleanup crew at all. purchasing more eating, pooping critters will not thwart an algae bloom. water changes and a good algae scraper are your best defense against algae.
if you like inverts like crabs, shrimp, and snails, buy a few at a time and see how they do.

Last edited:
Mike, youre right, they ARE pricey. What do you think of reefs2go.com?

X, thanks for all the help.I guess Ill just be a little conservative b/c youre right on point, I was told that 20-30 crabs, and 50-70 snails (nerite, nassarius, astreas etc) would be somewhere in the neighborhood of where I should be but I thought that seemed like a lot even for a 100g. Im waiting on shrimp until Im brave enough to take the plunge and get fish, but right now I have a couple of Nerites and Nassarius with maybe 10 hermits and theyre all doing fine... By algae scraper, you mean to clean the glass right? Im getting one of those magnet doohickies which is the same thing?

Mike, youre right, they ARE pricey. What do you think of reefs2go.com

I think that's the way to go price wise. i never been to that site before but I just checked it out and I like the prices. Nice find.(y) And yeah the magnet scrubber is great to have but you might need a scraper too. Check out these links just to get an idea and then look for the best deal.

Aquarium Cleaning & Maintenance: Pro-Scrapers

Aquarium Algae Scrapers for Glass & Acrylic Aquariums: Algae Scrapers

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom