Fresh Water 337 Gallon tank, Blank Slate, need help...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am a newbie but I like the thought of this tank. I like the stingray idea; maybe a couple but don't know if it can be done. Also plecos, a couple of large schools of other fish like tetras and danios, and a few larger fish like Discus or Angelfish (which you have experience with). If you do sand and do not do the stingrays, I like Kuhli loaches; they go in a school as well. Am I stocked yet? Remember, this is my opinion; Go with what YOU like. PS: Arowana? :p LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Also, I have learned a lot from videos made by The King Of DIY; he shows you how to do things for small AND large tanks (like you, he has built his own). If I remember correctly, your filter should have a flow rate of 3x to 4x the amount of water within your tank; others suggest 5x. So, go with the highest you can afford. With a 335 gallon, the minimum filtration you need is 1,005 gallons per hour. The more filtration you have, the better it will be. Also consider that some fish prefer more current than other so that changes things a little bit but I don't think the fish I suggested earlier need it.

I don't think it has been suggested but... If you wanted to go out on a limb you said you have custom piping and stuff for it why not try a FOWLR? You could get tons of beautiful saltwater fish in a tank that size. Then since you have live rock in there once you get experience you could add reef frags and have a giant beautiful reef.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I don't think it has been suggested but... If you wanted to go out on a limb you said you have custom piping and stuff for it why not try a FOWLR? You could get tons of beautiful saltwater fish in a tank that size. Then since you have live rock in there once you get experience you could add reef frags and have a giant beautiful reef.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Yea our plan was saltwater originally but then we saw the costs to stock it and maintain it and decided to go with freshwater because it was what we have experience with.

Do they even have sump pumps that do 1,005 gallons an hour? I think it would be very load and need 2"- 3" intake / outflow pipes or larger.

Any recommendations for the lights? Will I need to get lights that they use to grow "mari-juana" lol or a giant reef light ?

Also what heater Would you recommend?

Umm I looked up the Stingrays they get too big :(

Discus should be easier to keep alive as their is so much water it should be easier to keep the water with optimum conditions And the tank will be planted.

You seem set on discus. Keep doing your research before you buy any fish because discus are not that $2 fish at the LFS they rack up the $$$ easy. Learn as much as you can beforehand. And especially with discus, have a QT tank set up before adding ANY fish.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Ultra size tanks move up to swimming pool or pond equipment.
This is only 375? It's not the biggest tank. Ok, it's massive but it isn't out of the ordinary.
Pond pumps will do 10-20k litres (2,640-5,280G) maybe more? You'll definitely get pumps within these ranges.

Do they even have sump pumps that do 1,005 gallons an hour? I think it would be very load and need 2"- 3" intake / outflow pipes or larger.

Just an idea: if you can't get a filter to do 1k gph, then go for two that do 500, and so on. Even with the sump, the power pump should do the expected gph. Just try not to go with the bare minimum. Remember that going big means that the initial cost will be big; but the end result will be well worth it and will cost the minimum to maintain.

Sent by me; a Newbie
10g partially planted with 7 Bloodfin Tetras - Est. 1/29/2015

You seem set on discus. Keep doing your research before you buy any fish because discus are not that $2 fish at the LFS they rack up the $$$ easy. Learn as much as you can beforehand. And especially with discus, have a QT tank set up before adding ANY fish.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Im.guessing pockets run deep on this build, hence the designing a house around a 337gal tank;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Im.guessing pockets run deep on this build, hence the designing a house around a 337gal tank;)

Obviously not that deep though if saltwater was deterred because of price :p

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Obviously not that deep though if saltwater was deterred because of price :p

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

It was also deterred because of maintenance ( I have a LIFE you know? Well whats left of it after this monster is built will be determined hahah), freshwater is way easier.... we have a couple thousand left in budget after buying the tank and stand which they made by hand..

Discus are a g note alone.. heaters,lighting, and filtration could go over a g too.. sw would be 4 times that me thinks;)

Just wait... You only think you have life... It will consume you XD

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Exaggerated my statement a bit but I meant I know that a lot of my free time will be consumed by this tank but it will be worth it ....
images
somthing like that looks cool but imagine it bigger.... Not set on Discus yet ...
plantedtank.jpg
PICT0047edit.0.jpg
maybe cichlids with angelfish combo.... any one else know some pretty fish?

Exaggerated my statement a bit but I meant I know that a lot of my free time will be consumed by this tank but it will be worth it ....
images
somthing like that looks cool but imagine it bigger.... Not set on Discus yet ...
plantedtank.jpg
PICT0047edit.0.jpg
maybe cichlids with angelfish combo.... any one else know some pretty fish?

What do u mean by "pretty" like a pretty pattern? Or bright colors?

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Discus, angels and rams are all cichlids :).

Looking for decent sized fish 3" or bigger.... probably both

I like leopard ctenopoma. Usually eat anything that can fit in the mouth but are beautiful fish at the finest!! But if ur thinking of a 3" stock than I think u will be fine ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425003912.393237.jpg

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

I like leopard ctenopoma. Usually eat anything that can fit in the mouth but are beautiful fish at the finest!! But if ur thinking of a 3" stock than I think u will be fine View attachment 265612

Rockyofhockey _/.\_
looks cool will definatly do research on him.

Well it's a big tank I don't mind doing all large fish and just having less fish in the tank.

looks cool will definatly do research on him.

Well it's a big tank I don't mind doing all large fish and just having less fish in the tank.

I keep mine in 40 gallon. They love decorations.... How does ur tank look or will be looking like

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

I keep mine in 40 gallon. They love decorations.... How does ur tank look or will be looking like

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

It will be planted ..... surfing the net and seeing cool stuff..... tank is 3 ft deep so i need a really good full spectrum light to penetrate the water. :fish1:

Back
Top Bottom