Fresh water clams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tratcliffe44

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been think about getting a few freshwater clams. But I don't know anyone that has any.
I have tried to read some online. But what I've found is rather non informative.
It just says they help clean the water.
Does anyone have any freshwater clams???
What kind of effect do they have on the water???
How many would be good for my tank??
I have a 55gal tank.

I had some several years ago. They had a habit of burying themselves in the substrate. I would dig them up and a day or 2 layer they were buried again. I eventually forgot I had them until clown loaches dug them out. I think they require a soft substrate and pristine water, so you've to keep up your water changes

While I have never had any, so take my comments for what they are worth, I have read that they are difficult to feed, and since they bury themselves, if one dies you may not know about it until the decomposition starts to affect your water quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's generally not a good idea to get clams. They need special filter feeder foods which most tanks don't have in a large enough supply.

Thanks for the info.
I don't have any loaches. So I'm safe there. I just thought they would be something different to have in my tank.
I anyone has any good site to read about clams can you let me know??

I seriously looked into these for quite a while but decided the risk vs reward just wasn't there. Basically you will need an algae culture on hand to regularly feed the tank. They can release a huge ammonia spike if they do die which is quite common. I bought a saltwater clam and kept it alive much much longer than most other people have been able to due to my regular heavy feedings of an isochrysis culture that I have. Here's a small primer on their care.

Introduction: Keeping and Care of Freshwater Clams In Aquariums

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom