fresh water community with plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wisteria will really suck up nutrients. I have to keep mine really trimmed or I actually don't have enough nitrate for my other plants.

And hence why I was asking about a co2 system. Foind a whole set up that uses the cartridge system made by fluval for 60 $ on amazon. Good reviews. One cartridge can last up to two months but I'm a mechanic so I'd figure a way to put a bigger bottle on to their setup

And hence why I was asking about a co2 system. Foind a whole set up that uses the cartridge system made by fluval for 60 $ on amazon. Good reviews. One cartridge can last up to two months but I'm a mechanic so I'd figure a way to put a bigger bottle on to their setup

CO2 won't keep the wisteria from using nutrients? doesn't that make the plants grow faster? Be careful, you gotta have the right kind of lights to stimulate the right growth if you are dosing CO2 and the right amount and kinds of plants to use it. Too much CO2 can kill fish if the plants aren't using enough and making enough oxygen.

Since your being a dog with a bone here let's break this down...

First, I stated that the "number of fish" I could see isn't a high bio-load which you agreed. I was referring to the "fish bio-load", I didn't comment on anything else. In fact you were the one who went off on my not understanding what true bio-load is. No personal attack or trying to discredit you on the forum here.

Next you said "like" to cycle and let your plants establish before adding fish. I simply stated that plants don't need to be established before adding fish, which they don't. This is simply two different ways on how each person prefers to do things. Again neither way is right or wrong... can't see a personal attach on your person or trying to discredit you on this forum there.

You went on to say if not enough plants are present to use all the excess nitrates then algae can be a problem. I went on to elaborate on what causes algae issues which is more than just excess nitrates and not having established plants. Not a personal attack on you or trying to discredit you, just elaborating further on that point. I don't recall saying you were wrong anywhere.

I agreed more plants are a good thing. No personal attack or trying to discredit you there.

This type of posting is common on forums, using quoted posts to post your ideas/thoughts/comments/ways under. In no way is it in bad taste or a personal attack or a way of discrediting a person. If that was the case just about everyone on this forum would be screaming bashing, personal attack, and bad manners. Try taking a deep calming breath and take the post at face value as imformation and opinions posted by another forum member not one out to "discredit" you on the forum. This has been totally blown out of proportion.

Tipping my hat rivercats,extremely well put and I read the whole post and you are %100. Right no bashing on your end

I have read this thread through several times. I cannot see where anyone got (bashed) . Everyone has different opinions, and ways of doing things. Different techniques work for different people. That's the beauty of the hobby. Now to break it down. Rivercats never bashed you Bayinaung. She simply stated other ideas that might help the problem. Once again everyone has different things that work for them. Also Bayinaung You jumped all over Mrs.2012 for correcting you on what Rivercats actually said about the fish bio load. Maybe you should have read the thread before jumping on people. Everyone on this forum has the right to post their ideas. Whether you think they are right or not. You seem a little oversensitive when someone disagrees with you. I would suggest you put on your big girl panties and grow up. There now you know what actual bashing looks like!!

Standing ovation

Ok so its been a while since I've been on here internet issues. My tank is cycled and my plansts are growing like crazy.
Tested the tank last night
Ph 7.9
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

I know my nitrates should be above zero but below 40 is it showing zero because my plants are eating it all up per say???

You need to really start dosing a full line of macro and micro ferts especially if you added CO2. Nitrates should be between 10-20ppm in a planted tank and if you leave them at 0 eventually your going to start having nutrient deficiency issues. What are you dosing for ferts now?

I was used root tabs and a flora fert made by tetra. Please point me in the right direction as to what ferts to purchase I will do so tonight after your input. Thank you.

ForumRunner_20130516_123013.jpg

This is the new dry fert package GLA is selling... PPS-Pro | Aquarium Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums. You won't need to use the MgSO4 if you have hard water with a Gh of 4 or over. Most tap water has plenty of magnesium in it. I also suggest buying a 3rd dosing bottle because I've found that if you split your macro's by putting nitrates in one bottle and then the phosphates and potassium (and magnesium if needed) in another bottle you can then custom dose your tank by being able to change (more or less) of either of those macro's as needed. You want your nitrates at 10-20ppm and phosphates at .5-1.0ppm. I'd suggest getting a phosphate test kit and a Gh and Kh test kit also.

Here is a good thread to read about PPS-Pro dosing. Only read the openning post not all the comments after it.... http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/pps-analysis-feedback/39491-newbie-guide-pps-pro.html

Our power was out for three days and I just put battery operated pumps with air stones in my tanks. I guess it depends on what time of year it is and what size tank and how many fish you have in your tank. Larger volumes of water can go longer without the quality of the water being affected. Our water supply was still on so I could do a pwc if necessary but i didn't have to. If its winter you could cover the tank with blankets to try and keep the water from getting to cold.

Yeah its a 55g planted tank its summer year round in florida so the cold I don't have to worry about the power was only out for about four hours it just came back on. I'm investing in a generator cause I've got four tanks and hurricane season is Right around the coroner

I think that is a good idea to get the generator. Especially being In Florida. That's what I wanted to do but my husband thinks its a waste of money. It's no fun having to bale water out of the sump in the basement for 5 hours straight to keep the basement from flooding. A lot of the houses around us had there basement flood.
But luckily my fish made it due to the air stones.

Well I'm home on lunch. Just ran a water test on my 55g and my 29g my ammonia are at .25 and had one fish in both tanks die. I'm doing a water change tonight to correct the ammonia issue I was with ut power for about 6 hours lastnight and didn't realize it till I woke up for work. Defiantly investing in a batyer back up for the filter systems and or a generator for thw house. Sucks. Didnt for see this happening.

I was without electricity for about a week one year due to hurricanes and all my tanks and fish did just fine. I've gone other times for several hours with no issues.

If you can afford a generator they are great investment IMO. Several years ago we were without power (as was alot of St Louis) for 8 days and that is the only thing that saved my 2- 90g reef tanks, plus we had the fridge, microwave, and tons of fans since our temps were in the 90's. It wasn't pleasant but we all made it through!

Back
Top Bottom