fresh water to saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just depends on concepts. For fowlr you may benefit from having a filter and skimmer or just a skimmer alone; however, for a reef aquarium I prefer to remain skimmerless to keep available nutrients, well...available. The hang-on-back filters are primarily used for refugiums (macro algaes), added biological, and/or chemical filtration. Different "rules" of thumb here...here's a thought, why not create a poll or ask a mod to create one in this thread for you to help decide between:
filter alone
skimmer alone
filter and skimmer

Perhaps that would help alleviate some confusion? Oh, and no fish won't die if you don't have a skimmer as long as you take care of your tanks needs, just as anyone else would/should.

That is a great idea. If someone can't put a poll up for me that would be great. Find out what everyone is doing

Just a few questions. Are we adding anything about LR or refugiums or are we talking about those three as far as mechanical filtration and those three only. Reason I`m asking is alot of us use refuges and LR . I dont want to say just a skimmer when I rely on my LR for filtration also. You folks tell me.Anybody?

those three things for a 30 gallon tank. I might want a poll for what they would choose, instead of what they have. Because I am sure some people have some really upgraded stuff. :p I am just a newbie

I think a poll would be interesting (although I don't know how to set one up). There is definitely more than one successful way to set up a SW tank. My caution with filters was primarily for the reason that they are nitrate factories, which can be a problem in a reef tank if they are not cleaned frequently. Personally I used a skimmer, LR and powerheads on my 30g reef with good success. I know of similar sized tanks with sumps and refugia that also are doing quite well. IMO for a "newbie" to SW, getting into overflows, sumps and refugia might be a little overwhelming, hence the suggestion for the skimmer(filter)/LR/PH route. You can always change things down the road once you get a handle on how everything works.

I'll keep an eye on it. I am still researching on everything. Thanks a lot for everyones help, it makes me happy, and I am sure when i get my first saltie they will be happy too. :p

Back
Top Bottom