FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looking great as always, especially since you added that other fixture.

Sent from my Z667T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Looking great as always, especially since you added that other fixture.

Sent from my Z667T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Been chasing the reds...initially went for high light and was battling algae. Using separate timers helped control the intensity. It goes low-med to high to med during the day.

Nice fresh! My pogo grows like crazy too lol.

Meese

Yes, once it gets going, the growth rate is pretty fast. Cut stems have new growth within a week. Very popular plant.

Wanna switch tanks? Lol looks great fresh!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Be patient. Lots to learn. This took a while to get to this point. At the beginning of 2013 I ordered about a dozen different plants for this tank and sadly none of them are in this tank now. Most of these are from the Petsmart Topfin gel packs, a few vendors, and some generous AA folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Added some new plants.
Rxhe2RK.png

In the rear left corner I planted two heathy clumps of Blyxa japonica. Going to leave the other Blyxa in my holding tank for now. Not enough room to plant them.
4xk6sb8.png

In the front right I planted a mat of UG (Utricularia graminifolia). This plant suffered from the lengthy travel time and a majority of the leaves are semi-translucent and fractured. It was an intact mat that sank easily. I pushed the roots into the substrate as best I could. I do see some green healthy leaves in the mat. Fingers crossed that this pulls through. If it becomes an algae mat, them I will let the MTS feast on it for a while before removing it. Interesting plant, it is related to bladder wort but much more attractive. I recently removed some nuisance bladder wort from the tank.
TeyIOlK.png

Last edited:
Read through the first 60 posts in this thread...all i can say is wow your tank has come a long way.

Ps. The tooth picks made me laugh! Many new ideas from this build

What do you mean by the plants pearling??

Yeah, it's a long read. 2 years ago the same tank had a couple pieces of flat stones with moss tied to them and a banana plant in poor health. The only thing going for it was the substrate.
Pearling is the term used to describe the visible oxygen bubbles being released from the plants. Normally, oxygen released by the plants during photosynthesis dissolves directly into the water. At some point, the water becomes so saturated that it can no longer absorb any more oxygen so it is released as gas bubbles. Minor damages to leaves and stems often release bubbles. I have seen it occur right after water changes (incoming water can contain a lot of dissolved gases including oxygen). Hydrogen peroxide treatments can cause this as well.

Looking good, Fresh. Here's to hoping they don't melt on you. Darn usps! Anyways, I think the UG would spread faster if you separated it into small plugs and tweezered them into the substrate at least half buried. Otherwise, it may eventually uproot and float.

Here's how I did it in my tank and the carpeting that followed.

Brian did you plant yours straight into a submerged setup or did you dry start it?? UG is the carpet of my choice once my driftwood sinks and ive been reading a lot about high failure rates unless using DSM

Well this will certainly be a challenge. What I placed in the tank was basically a green and white intertwined clump. Tonight I can pull it out and separate it into small groups with tweezers and try again with a spread pattern. May have to break out the toothpicks as the current from one of the filters is pointing to this spot. I can adjust the direction of the flow a bit. What I might do before I go to work is place it in a floating breeder.

This should be good fresh! Embrace the growing power of that setup:) hope my blyxa survives this 23° morning. . Dohhh

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah, it's a long read. 2 years ago the same tank had a couple pieces of flat stones with moss tied to them and a banana plant in poor health. The only thing going for it was the substrate.
Pearling is the term used to describe the visible oxygen bubbles being released from the plants. Normally, oxygen released by the plants during photosynthesis dissolves directly into the water. At some point, the water becomes so saturated that it can no longer absorb any more oxygen so it is released as gas bubbles. Minor damages to leaves and stems often release bubbles. I have seen it occur right after water changes (incoming water can contain a lot of dissolved gases including oxygen). Hydrogen peroxide treatments can cause this as well.

So would running an air pump when my light is off prevent pearling or are my plants just not producing enough O2 to pearl!

So would running an air pump when my light is off prevent pearling or are my plants just not producing enough O2 to pearl!

If anything that will promote pearling. The air pump will increase o2 levels. Once lights on comes the plants wont have to produce as much o2 for the water to reach saturation point

I might be missing it then, i am not around when the lights come on in the morning.

My lighting goes 2 hours at medium (PAR 45), 3 hours at high (PAR ~108), and 2 hours at medium (PAR 61).
I only see pearling at high light and some in the second medium light period. CO2 at 3 bps is on 1 hour before lights on and off 1.5 hours before lights off.

Here's the UG I pulled this morning.
oXKRH0C.png

I teased it apart just a little and let it sit in the tank. Just a guesstimate.. might be about 10-20% viable plant material in there. The rest looks melted. I may let it sit in there a bit longer to see how the viable growth reacts to the lighting. I do see a few bubbles rising out of it.
Update: I took the tweezers to tease it apart a bit more and it separate like wisps of cotton candy (if the makes sense). There are a few MTS in the breeder box and they will feast on the dying portions of the vegetation.

Last edited:
That's what the dhg I got from petsmart looked like.. half lived anyways.. i think you'll get it back! Too bad we don't have planted "z-packs" for cold plants

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

First the good news: Finally got some 4dkh solution so that I can properly use this purty glass drop checker (thanks Brookster for both!) Ignore the algae on the Fluval DC.
YcMNt5e.png

Now the bad news: The UG has not only melted, it has dissolved to almost nothing :( yep, a few snails in there but they are only cleaning up the decaying matter.
K1UxtiN.png

The Blyxa is doing fine. Going to move it away from the back of the tank since it is more of a mid ground plant. Going to rearrange some plants to give some star repens and pogo erectus cuttings a chance to root and spread out.

Dang that's pretty bad about the UG. Sorry to hear/see this. We can try again after mine grows out. I have heat packs. Glad to hear at least the blyxa is fairing well.

On a side note, nice drop checker.

Dang that's pretty bad about the UG. Sorry to hear/see this. We can try again after mine grows out. I have heat packs. Glad to hear at least the blyxa is fairing well.

On a side note, nice drop checker.

Eh, no problem. Take your time. I want to grow out the star repens some more and real estate is at a premium in this tank.
Yep, had to bleach and scrub the algae off of it. I had the Fluval indicator fluid in there and it was super dark. This solution is easier to read.

Back
Top Bottom