FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Got some Limno today from Thumper!
rvAGTR2.png
They are huge! It was a chilly trip for them so I am letting them warm up to room temp before I plant them.
Of course the tank is full. I need to move some plants to make room.
I went to the LFS to drop off a large bag of water lettuce and actually LOOKED some fish. Kuhli loaches, ember tetras, porkchop rasboras, galaxy celestial danios, hasbrosus pygmies, and panda cories. They also had some gorgeous Electric Blue Rams and Honey Gouramis:
KNMrOIy.png
I did not see any thread fin rainbows but they said they can order them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Got some Limno today from Thumper!
rvAGTR2.png
They are huge! It was a chilly trip for them so I am letting them warm up to room temp before I plant them.
Of course the tank is full. I need to move some plants to make room.
I went to the LFS to drop off a large bag of water lettuce and actually LOOKED some fish. Kuhli loaches, ember tetras, porkchop rasboras, galaxy celestial danios, hasbrosus pygmies, and panda cories. They also had some gorgeous Electric Blue Rams and Honey Gouramis:
KNMrOIy.png
I did not see any thread fin rainbows but they said they can order them.

I just got some Kuhli Loaches and I LOVE them. They are weird, yet cool. I also got some Gold Honey Gouramis. They are cool, but are really shy. Small tetras, small rasboras, and peaceful loaches would make good tankmates.

Nice tank! Hopefully my new 16 will soon look like that!

Nils

Two years ago this tank consisted of a few flat rocks with moss tied to them.

Get a pair of electric blue rams. Happy New Year's

Sent from my Z667T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I had to Google sexing EBRs. When I saw them in the store I had no idea what to look for. They look cool but not sure if I want to entertain pairing dynamics or possible breeding and rearing. But very colorful. Camera does not capture the true colors.

I have some panda cories,..my favorite fish....

I have very small patches of substrate (for now) due to the carpet plants. Kind of leaning towards kuhli instead because they will be able to navigate through the undergrowth.

I just got some Kuhli Loaches and I LOVE them. They are weird, yet cool. I also got some Gold Honey Gouramis. They are cool, but are really shy. Small tetras, small rasboras, and peaceful loaches would make good tankmates.

Thanks for the tip on the Honey Gouramis.

Currently I have 3 gold tetras (since 2007) and a pair of longfin blue danios. Had more but they died out over time and I did not replace them. I'm somewhat attached to the gold tetras but have no problem donating the danios to the LFS. I'm thinking they would be the problem children if I add new stock, especially if they are Nano's or Gouramis.

I'd pass on the ebrs fresh, they're notoriously dufficult to keep alive. Have you checked out peacock gudgeons? They could be a nice fit for your setup.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Kuhli are an awesome fish,..very active. A friend had some and I really enjoyed watching them. He lost his after a year,but if I am not mistaken the do better in a shoal..

Kuhli are an awesome fish,..very active. A friend had some and I really enjoyed watching them. He lost his after a year,but if I am not mistaken the do better in a shoal..

Yes, they do. A shoal of 6 would be good, with more than 6 being better.

I'd pass on the ebrs fresh, they're notoriously dufficult to keep alive. Have you checked out peacock gudgeons? They could be a nice fit for your setup.

True, but when you get passed a couple weeks with dwarf cichlids there are definitely worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

True, but when you get passed a couple weeks with dwarf cichlids there are definitely worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

With most yeah.. not ebrs though.. they're so specifically bred, they need perfect perfect parameters and they may make it a year. My lfs has a huge breeding pair for $75, the male is the size of a silver dollar, it's pretty amazing.. they're in the discus tank if that's any indicator??

I'll scratch the EBRs off the list for now.
As for a QT, I can use my 6.6g plant holding tank. I moved one of the filters from the planted tank to help clear it up. The TopFin internal filter I had in there was a noisy mess; only save the foam and put it into the HOB. Now all I need is a heater. 100w is overkill but I can keep it on hand as backup.
I think I will start off with the kuhlies next week.

With most yeah.. not ebrs though.. they're so specifically bred, they need perfect perfect parameters and they may make it a year. My lfs has a huge breeding pair for $75, the male is the size of a silver dollar, it's pretty amazing.. they're in the discus tank if that's any indicator??

My Electric Blue Ram only lived a year and a half in my tank, and it developed this weird fungus before it died.

Got some limnophilia aromatica New Year's Eve. Here it is floating in the tank:
Nf5JaoV.png

Decided the Rotala wallichii (just to the right of the big green pogo mass) had to go. Despite my best efforts, I don't think I could keep it healthy and red like it should be. I moved them to the plant holding tank.
I planted the limno. It is a large plant. I am going to trim it down and sell it along with some pogo. The AR in the right corner could use some trimming. It grows faster than I thought. I'm going to check with the LFS and see if they will take them. Most likely I will get a 20% livestock purchase coupon. 6-7 pogo stems, 5 limno, 6-7 R. wallichii, and maybe some AR. Anyhow, here is a shot with the front light (FugeRay) on and the second one is with the rear light (Planted+) on.
8uKcprr.png
ia0BIYk.png

The few erio sprouts in the front right are barely hanging in there. If they show no improvement I might break up the blyxa clump and extent it to the front right corner. Maybe do a wall of Blyxa like in Brookster's tank.

What's on the right there fresh? Cyperus helferi? I feel you on the walichi.. it was a detrious magnet..

What's on the right there fresh? Cyperus helferi? I feel you on the walichi.. it was a detrious magnet..

The bright green plant is broadleaf chain sword (Echinodorus quadricostatus). It is what dominated my tank back in 12/12/2013:
iGC5oPR.jpg

Interestingly, I checked my pond and there are a few of them still alive out there. Who knew.
Yeah, I tried and tried again with the wallichii. Could not sustain a "Sk3lly" level with it.

Ohh, looks healthy! Have you ever tried the helferi tissue culture?? I'm considering it..

Back
Top Bottom