FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks. Plants are happy for the most part. Now I want happy fish. The embers love FD tubifex worms. They are like little orange missiles darting around the tank.
I have been injecting about 4 bps into the HOB filter. Not sure if it is more effective than letting the mist circulate in the tank. Ideally the bubbles would get trapped in the floss leading to increased contact time and saturation. But I only seeing blue green from the DCs. Also in this pic you will see the effects of overcrowding stem plants. Note the skinny portions of the pogo stems in the background. Ignore the uprooted Downoi. Time to break out the tooth picks!
XJLqp4U.png

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Join the boat of unhappy fish!
Tank looks really good and even will toothpicks. Lol all in good fun from me fresh.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

4 bps sounds like a ton of CO2, are you running a 5 lb or paintball?

4 bps sounds like a ton of CO2, are you running a 5 lb or paintball?

IMO 4 bps may be a lot for a CO2 reactor but not too much if diffused freely in the tank. The actual amount of CO2 that gets dissolved into the water may not be that much. Thus, the blue green DC. I was expecting better results piping it into the HOB filter. It's a 24 oz PB tank. Up until the last refill, I was getting about 4-4.5 months between refills. The DC was more yellow than green the last few months.
I was thinking in lieu of a canister, possibly using a powerhead connected to an external reactor. But idk if I want a powerhead in the tank because of the space it takes up. Not sure what I will do.

Join the boat of unhappy fish!
Tank looks really good and even will toothpicks. Lol all in good fun from me fresh.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh, the fish are not unhappy. I'm just hoping the dynamics are fine when the new fish get added in a week of so.

IMO 4 bps may be a lot for a CO2 reactor but not too much if diffused freely in the tank. The actual amount of CO2 that gets dissolved into the water may not be that much. Thus, the blue green DC. I was expecting better results piping it into the HOB filter. It's a 24 oz PB tank. Up until the last refill, I was getting about 4-4.5 months between refills. The DC was more yellow than green the last few months.
I was thinking in lieu of a canister, possibly using a powerhead connected to an external reactor. But idk if I want a powerhead in the tank because of the space it takes up. Not sure what I will do.

Oh, the fish are not unhappy. I'm just hoping the dynamics are fine when the new fish get added in a week of so.

Maybe you could get a small powerhead built for nano tanks? I like canister filters. Eheims are my personal favorite. They might be a tad expensive, but they are of good quality. I have one of the classic canisters hooked up to my tank and I get crystal clear water.

Go Reds!

Maybe you could get a small powerhead built for nano tanks? I like canister filters. Eheims are my personal favorite. They might be a tad expensive, but they are of good quality. I have one of the classic canisters hooked up to my tank and I get crystal clear water.

Go Reds!

Good point on the nano power head.
As for Ehiem, what would you recommend for a 20g long? I just need enough gph to run a reactor. I may or may not run one of the AC 50s with the canister. The only thing that has bothered me about about Ehiem design is the curved tube at the bottom. To me it looks like it is prone to breaking.

Do you run it 24/7 or just when the lights are on? My tank will last me about 4 weeks and im running it at 2 bps 24/7 (solenoid is having issues again)

Co2 on 1hr before lights&off 1hr before lights out(5 hrs total)...I have an electric gold ram in this tank& he's a powerhouse with no ill effects to date...

Getcha sleeves wet fish tank people!

A kolorlia nano might work good in your tank. They're only about the size of an egg, so not too much space will be taken up.

Tiger - More on the inline diffuser... What bps are you running? Tank working psi? Is this installed on the input or output of the canister?
My CO2 is on about an hour before lights on and off 90 minutes before lights out.
I got tired of seeing a blue DC so I moved the diffuser so that the mist gets caught in the HOB filter current and gets pushed around the tank. Not the prettiest unless you like tiny bubbles but I'm hoping it's more effective than going into the HOB filter.

The nano power heads might be an option.

I went to the LFS and made an impulse buy!!!
So unlike me. You all are a bad influence :)

Tiger - More on the inline diffuser... What bps are you running? Tank working psi? Is this installed on the input or output of the canister?
My CO2 is on about an hour before lights on and off 90 minutes before lights out.
I got tired of seeing a blue DC so I moved the diffuser so that the mist gets caught in the HOB filter current and gets pushed around the tank. Not the prettiest unless you like tiny bubbles but I'm hoping it's more effective than going into the HOB filter.

The nano power heads might be an option.

Sup Fresh...with the addition of the stingray I bumped the ferts& co2 up...before I was running at 2.5-3 bps with a working pressure of 40..installed on the output side about a ft below the spray bar..I found that by turning the spray bar where faces the back glass causing turbulence which then was pushed around the tank with 2 janky powerheads(too large)..

Apisto? ram?? Dolphin??!? (No) whatcha get??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hehe. Tiger, thanks for the details. I love details.
Oh...
I was planning on going to the LFS tonight to turn in some Blyxa japonica in exchange for a 20% coupon. I then get a call from the LFS saying that some furcatas just arrived (Blue Eye Forktail Furcata Rainbows). These go quickly. Grabbed a cooler and luckily did not get a ticket along the way. When someone walks into a pet store with a cooler they either have beer or they mean business or both. Looked over the stock (they had 18-24) and picked up six. Most are males; one appears to be female or a juvee. They are acclimating and will join the CPDs in the QT.
I certainly am making up for lost time.

Fresh, what has gotten into you?! From the pictures posted, the furcata rainbows are beautiful fish! What a tank you will have.

Hehe. Tiger, thanks for the details. I love details.
Oh...
I was planning on going to the LFS tonight to turn in some Blyxa japonica in exchange for a 20% coupon. I then get a call from the LFS saying that some furcatas just arrived (Blue Eye Forktail Furcata Rainbows). These go quickly. Grabbed a cooler and luckily did not get a ticket along the way. When someone walks into a pet store with a cooler they either have beer or they mean business or both. Looked over the stock (they had 18-24) and picked up six. Most are males; one appears to be female or a juvee. They are acclimating and will join the CPDs in the QT.
I certainly am making up for lost time.

Awesome score on the blue eyes! I'm currently pestering my lfs for more,out of stock..boohoo

Back
Top Bottom