FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
5 Ember Tetras
5-6 CPDs
2 Otos
4 Amano Shrimp
Fluval 206 enroute; according to USPS its in Laurel, MD and should arrive in a few days

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

5 Ember Tetras
5-6 CPDs
2 Otos
4 Amano Shrimp
Fluval 206 enroute; according to USPS its in Laurel, MD and should arrive in a few days

Hey, that's a 20 minute drive from here, want me to pick it up? :lol:

I'd up the number of either the CPDs or tetras and add a group of kuhlis.

Hey, that's a 20 minute drive from here, want me to pick it up? :lol:

I'd up the number of either the CPDs or tetras and add a group of kuhlis.

I've had shipments listed as "out for delivery" at 6 AM from a PO about 4 miles away and not have the package show up until 7 hours later.
Sure, if you can deal with DC Metro traffic ⚠️????????
Will look for kuhlies this week. Probably going with more embers.
How many kuhlies?

5+, the two I have hide alot and don't seem to eat a lot. Think in a bigger group they would do better.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Feeding time! Otos and snails feasting on an algae wafer:
tmr2VTR.png

The MTS shells in this tank differ greatly from the ones in the shrimp tank. Much darker, rougher shells and some with tufts of BBA. Meanwhile in the shrimp tank they are lighter, smoother, and not decayed.
Hope to get out to the LFS this week. But if I don't, that's fine. New filter arriving soon!

Feeding time! Otos and snails feasting on an algae wafer:
tmr2VTR.png

The MTS shells in this tank differ greatly from the ones in the shrimp tank. Much darker, rougher shells and some with tufts of BBA. Meanwhile in the shrimp tank they are lighter, smoother, and not decayed.
Hope to get out to the LFS this week. But if I don't, that's fine. New filter arriving soon!

Gross!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Took the Fluval 206 out of the box and took it apart. More parts compared to the old MarineLand Magnum 350 (the one with an actual spinning motor/fan on the bottom) I had years ago. The Fluval has a and efficient design. Regarding the media baskets, there is plenty of room to add my existing ceramic media and then some. Folks often put the fine polishing pad at the very end of the flow path but IMO water going into the bio-media area should be free of particulates. Plenty of room for floss or purigen as well. Looks like I will have to cut some length off the intake tube on account of the shallow tank.
There was one broken part though I don't think it's critical. One of the hose brackets has some pieces broken off.
VUqOOUB.png

I was thinking about putting the canister next to the tank stand and I was reading up in the manual how slack in the tubing is very discouraged. What??? I will definitely have to factor that in with the CO2 reactor I have not built yet. So I decided it will go into the cabinet. I will allow enough slack to let me move the hose brackets as needed. I cut the floating cabinet shelf in half and added a bracket for support. A shim was needed to make the shelf level. I saved the other half of the shelf and the support will allow me to remount it in the future if necessary. I still need to cut some holes in the back panel for the tubing; I've got some hole saw bits that should do the job.
bU6Ogtk.png
The right side of the cabinet has power strips, timers, food, and ferts. Going to put the test kit and other stuff that I don't use often in a closet.
OnpBV9V.png

Looks like you're well organized Fresh,only thing I regret is that I should've placed the atomizer on the return just outside the canister...where it is currently I still get micro-bubbles in the tank..

Looks like you're well organized Fresh,only thing I regret is that I should've placed the atomizer on the return just outside the canister...where it is currently I still get micro-bubbles in the tank..

I removed a bunch of stuff. You want organized, check out RadMax's cabinet.
By return, you mean to say the atomizer on the tubing that goes from the filter to the tank and it is located closer to the tank than the filter? If that is the case, then how would it work on the tubing leading from the tank to the filter? Yeah, bubbles in the filter but they should be mist sized.
I was thinking of putting a CO2 reactor on the return line (fed from the filter). I figured some back pressure on the pump is better than a vacuum on the filter inlet side.
If I get the holes cutout of the back then I might be getting the filter installed tonight.

By return, you mean to say the atomizer on the tubing that goes from the filter to the tank and it is located closer to the tank than the filter? If that is the case, then how would it work on the tubing leading from the tank to the filter? Yeah, bubbles in the filter but they should be mist sized.
I was thinking of putting a CO2 reactor on the return line (fed from the filter). I figured some back pressure on the pump is better than a vacuum on the filter inlet side.
If I get the holes cutout of the back then I might be getting the filter installed tonight.

I've heard that placing the atomizer inline before the canister&allowing co2 to pass through the canister shortens the life of the impeller..

I've heard that placing the atomizer inline before the canister&allowing co2 to pass through the canister shortens the life of the impeller..

It depends on the canister. I'm not sure if the 206 does it but with my canister it stops every 24 hours and expels any air that may have become trapped during the day so it was never an issue. I think I read that for most Fluvals it isn't an issue.

If I read things right he is placing the reactor on the output line so the co2 would go through the filter.

It depends on the canister. I'm not sure if the 206 does it but with my canister it stops every 24 hours and expels any air that may have become trapped during the day so it was never an issue. I think I read that for most Fluvals it isn't an issue.

Good to know. I just installed a Fluval 206 and despite reading the instructions, managed to hook up the input and output connectors on the wrong tubes (was wondering why it did not prime easily).
Nigel - Sent you a pm with specific questions.
I think the CO2 and impeller thing comes from the plastic reacting with the carbonic acid...not sure how valid this is.

Something that you might want to do is save some of the hose so if/when you go inline shopping you can easily reference you hose ID.

Get outta here, Fresh! Plant fertilizer stuff on one shelf, food on another, and water quality products on the bottom. It's not THAT organized!

Just wait until I build my own stand. I might start making drawers! ?

Get outta here, Fresh! Plant fertilizer stuff on one shelf, food on another, and water quality products on the bottom. It's not THAT organized!

Just wait until I build my own stand. I might start making drawers! ?

Now this I have to see lol

Oh and don't give me any ideas about drawers seeming how I have a bare frame in my garage.

Back
Top Bottom