FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love the fissidens! How hard is it to grow? Your tank looks spectacular. I've managed to keep all the hygro, limno, ludwigia and blyxa from you and Brooks alive so far. It's all growing slow and stemmy, not nearly as nice as you guys have it. F for effort on my part I'm doing water changes once a week and dosing liquid carbon when I can remember, otherwise nada. I think I'll leave plants to the experts ;)

I love the fissidens! How hard is it to grow? ;)

Thanks!
I have that moss growing in my planted tank and in my shrimp tank. The light in my shrimp tank was a dual T5 NO fixture which produced very low light. It is now a Finnex FugeRay which produces low medium light. It's alive in the shrimp tank but not proliferating (yet) like it is in the planted tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tank update. Scraped the algae from the glass and now there's a slight haze to the water. Limno and rotala macrandra both growing well and Fissidens moss is taking up more space. It's about 5" x 6" and 3" tall. Trying to figure how to rearrange things to allow it to spread without smothering other plants (such as the star repens and downoi).
Left side
Z5z57rE.png

Middle
Ut3YCiX.png

Right side:
RdoAglZ.png

FTS:
lVnssOM.png

If I were you, I'd move the Blyxa back into the midground and move the S. repens just into the foreground. Maybe this would give you a little more leverage for growth in the background? The Blyxa would complement the moss well.

If I were you, I'd move the Blyxa back into the midground and move the S. repens just into the foreground. Maybe this would give you a little more leverage for growth in the background? The Blyxa would complement the moss well.

At one time I had the blyxa at midground and regular removal was needed to keep it from the foreground.
Since I'm using an HOB filter, the output is not too kind to taller background plants. So I'm kind of limited there unless I trim religiously. That's why the blyxa is there.

I missed a day or two with the tank and was surprised at the plant growth. I knew the roto mac was overgrown but now the limno as well. Here are a few pics: FTS
eGTQEK2.png
FTS from a higher persspective:
QqHXATe.png
Will try to post a video later.

Excellent work, fresh. Tank looks great! Can't believe how much fissidens grew out from that small clump I sent. I forget how much I sent, but it wasn't a lot. Now you have mounds of the stuff!

Excellent work, fresh. Tank looks great! Can't believe how much fissidens grew out from that small clump I sent. I forget how much I sent, but it wasn't a lot. Now you have mounds of the stuff!

It was more like a few stragglers attached to the blyxa in that shipment. But it really took off. I am splitting the big mound and trying to figure how to work the rest into the scape. It is encroaching and shading some of the other low growing plants. The "claw like" fronds give it a distinctive look. Probably my favorite moss.

Looking sweet Fresh!
Do you have any experience with staurogyne porto velho?

sit in silence

Thanks!
Nope. From what I understand, it has more tapered willow like leaves and it think it sends out runners. I've only read about one person having it in their tank on this forum. Good luck with this and cool for trying out something new.

This kind of activity only occurs at feeding time. All other times they are in the jungle.

Meeeep

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm still here. I am not tickled at the current state of my tank. Here is a pic from last night:
yx0ru4C.png
Maybe I'm trying to grow too many types of plants in this size of tank. Rampant BBA. GSA on my stars. I should just mow the stars down to the stumps so they regrow. They are due for a trim. I'm tempted to remove the limno and ludwigia sp red from the left side of the tank and move the rotala macrandra in that area. The rota mac are not red in my tank like I've seen in pics but the color is pleasing nonetheless. That will give the pogostemon erectus in the right corner some room to spread out. Or maybe I'll remove half of the stars and try to make a fissidens carpet. Idk. Not sure if it is boredom or frustration I have with this tank.
It has been a whopping 4 months since I bought any fish. My current fish (embers/CPDs) mostly hide when it's not feeding time. Or I think they hide when I'm in the room. I could setup a duck blind so I can watch my fish. Actually, when I had the rainbows, there was so much "life" in this tank. I think they were the catalyst for activity.

I'm still here. I am not tickled at the current state of my tank. Here is a pic from last night:
yx0ru4C.png
Maybe I'm trying to grow too many types of plants in this size of tank. Rampant BBA. GSA on my stars. I should just mow the stars down to the stumps so they regrow. They are due for a trim. I'm tempted to remove the limno and ludwigia sp red from the left side of the tank and move the rotala macrandra in that area. The rota mac are not red in my tank like I've seen in pics but the color is pleasing nonetheless. That will give the pogostemon erectus in the right corner some room to spread out. Or maybe I'll remove half of the stars and try to make a fissidens carpet. Idk. Not sure if it is boredom or frustration I have with this tank.
It has been a whopping 4 months since I bought any fish. My current fish (embers/CPDs) mostly hide when it's not feeding time. Or I think they hide when I'm in the room. I could setup a duck blind so I can watch my fish. Actually, when I had the rainbows, there was so much "life" in this tank. I think they were the catalyst for activity.

Looking good Fresh...I removed the sp red from my tank because it was becoming an algae magnet...I like the idea of the yank&swap...whoa that sounds a lil strange but anyhow I'm looking forward to some updated pics of your tank brotha...

sit in silence...

Back
Top Bottom