FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I need the try the Peabody's tabs.
I like the root pellets from AquariumPlants.com. They come in three flavors: Total, Phosphate, and Iron. 75 pellets for around $10 (plus shipping).
Don't get the 10 or 20 pack of root tabs from the LFS.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I need the try the Peabody's tabs.
I like the root pellets from AquariumPlants.com. They come in three flavors: Total, Phosphate, and Iron. 75 pellets for around $10 (plus shipping).
Don't get the 10 or 20 pack of root tabs from the LFS.

You have to be quick in placing them as they become soft when put into the tank.. I get the original ru tabs& the micro+..

sit in silence...

You have to be quick in placing them as they become soft when put into the tank.. I get the original ru tabs& the micro+..

sit in silence...

And try not to not bring them above the substrate for an extended period of time. I got an algae bloom this past April from doing that when I pulled up some crypts.

This tool has helped with the rapidly dissolving tabs/pellets: Root Tablet Injector
I occasional see the osmocote+ yellow spheres at the surface. I push them down when possible. As for the whitish powdery stuff from the AP pellets...I don't worry about it. It eventually sinks back down.

This tool has helped with the rapidly dissolving tabs/pellets: Root Tablet Injector
I occasional see the osmocote+ yellow spheres at the surface. I push them down when possible. As for the whitish powdery stuff from the AP pellets...I don't worry about it. It eventually sinks back down.

How do osmocote tabs compare/contrast to regular root tabs? This is actually something that I've never investigated before.

Fresh the downoi I received from you a while back must be a super strain....it is easily double the size of the downoi in the 20L...also the dhg is in full take over mode...

sit in silence...

Fresh the downoi I received from you a while back must be a super strain....it is easily double the size of the downoi in the 20L...also the dhg is in full take over mode...

sit in silence...

I go those from Planted Aquariums Central about a year ago. Took a while for them to become established. The "shipped" form looked quite different from the final form. They appeared to have done better when I had two fixtures instead of one.

How do osmocote tabs compare/contrast to regular root tabs? This is actually something that I've never investigated before.

Not sure. The tabs/pellets appear to disintegrate quickly into the chalky whitish substance. Does this allow it to become more readily available to the plant's roots compared to the osmocote+ spheres? My gut feeling is yes but have no real proof of that.
I've used the AP root pellets for over a year and the Mebbid style osmocote+ tablets for a few months. Cannot really say there is a difference in plant growth. However, the type of plants over that time has varied tremendously so it's not quite apples to apples.

Do you have any picture or video updates, Fresh?

Nope. I should next week. Tank is still the same, just over grown.
Here is a pic from LAST week:
4oQuNLs.png
I want to remove HALF of the stars carpet and move the downoi from the front right corner to the new open space. I don't need carpeting along the entire length of the tank. The front right corner will be available to deal with the crowding occurring in the rear left corner (Ludwigia red, Limnophilia aromatica, Pogostemon quadrifolius).

I saw my dream piece of DW:
3lq1OYc.png
It has the deep roots for well divided carpet plants. It would need to be cut down to size (it measured roughly 36"x30") to fit in a 40B. Did not buy it though.
Saw lots of DW at Ship Wreck in the Outer Banks, NC. Not sure how suitable this would be for the aquarium. A few years back I bought some smaller pieces and they took several months to sink and are crumbly now. Still, very interesting pieces for landscaping purposes.
iBZ8Li6.png
evZgly1.png

Wow nice piece...Looks to be a huge display as well..might be a little suspect if you've already had issues with similar wood.
So......a 40b in the wings?!?!

sit in silence...

So here is my tank after being away for 9 days:
WJUPjHP.png
Time for a trim!!! Fish are more hungry than skittish. Closeup:
FNnvD4Z.png

I just noticed that the water lettuce went unchecked and covered half of the tank. The downoi responded by becoming uprooted (if that is possible). Need to remove the WL after the fireworks ???

I just noticed that the water lettuce went unchecked and covered half of the tank. The downoi responded by becoming uprooted (if that is possible). Need to remove the WL after the fireworks ???

On top of that, the CO2 tank ran out while I was gone. 4 and a half months for a 24 oz tank is not bad.

CO2 tank refilled. It was a free refill (Dicks Sporting Goods has an every 5th refill free deal). Found a slow leak where the flexible tubing connects with the rigid tubing (may have been like that for a long time). Set the bps, checked it again later and crossed fingers.
Removed/trimmed a bunch of plants. Moved some plants around. New plants are hanging in there (slowly). Added some montmorillonite clay to boost the calcium. The clay is chalky and water is hazy for about a day:
urgTR3R.png

Back
Top Bottom