FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Those little bulldozers are reeking havoc.

Tell me about it! I have 3 clumps of HC Cuba piled on top of each other. I'm starting to see some golden-yellow colors in the older leaves...fading/dying?
At least it is doing fine in a terrarium I set up a few months back:
TwIlzA7.jpg
(blue arrow)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tell me about it! I have 3 clumps of HC Cuba piled on top of each other. I'm starting to see some golden-yellow colors in the older leaves...fading/dying?
At least it is doing fine in a terrarium I set up a few months back:
TwIlzA7.jpg
(blue arrow)

That thing is awesome. Reminds me of a wabi kusa.

I like the terrarium! Is that mayaca fluviatilis in there? The spiky looking plant all the way on the left, 2 plants above the blue arrow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! The terrarium started as a result of frustration with a DSM moss+yogurt project I did a few months back. After killing a bunch of Fissidens fontanus in the process, I decided to go in a different direction. I found these glass containers with lids at a craft store, moss pack on eBay, and put together 3 terrariums. I used potting soil (no fert garden soil is preferred), EcoComplete as a base, and a thin layer of dried moss to separate the soil and EC. Very low maintenance. Mist them every few days. Leave them next to a window or lamp. While reading a review of HC Cuba, one reviewer commented on putting HC Cuba in a terrarium. So I did that along with some Glosso from a recent plant order. They are doing fine. Don't expect too much growth out of them but that's not the point with these.
6SrhI23.jpg
yNzAsYX.jpg
LcQwRPj.jpg
EI7XkvA.jpg
RBxrQTk.jpg
ggvSxro.jpg
Note: The stones came with the moss order. No scientific names, just the names that were on the bags.
I refilled the CO2 tank last night. Since adding the new light fixture I've gone topless due to the reflection/glare; no jumpers present in the tank.

Thanks fresh. The hair cap moss is called polytrichum commune, and I think ive seen it on a hike a few times.

Keep us postef every now and then on the terrariums!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fresh that is so freaking cool.
Egg patch...gotta love it ;)
If you ever get overrun by glosso who knows...maybe I'll kill some of it hehe

Fresh that is so freaking cool.
Egg patch...gotta love it ;)
If you ever get overrun by glosso who knows...maybe I'll kill some of it hehe

You: Glosso. Glosso. Glosso.
So I had to. The runners are starting to branch into more runners. They are working their way into the Staur repens and the HC Cuba. Not upset about the latter since they will prolly help keep them in place.
Increased the bps from 1 to 2-3. When both lights are on (about 4 hours) I'm seeing active pearling from the Staur repens, Glosso, Downoi, and even the crypt parva. Downoi getting back to a decent size. I have a gap of space where the dwarf sag was. Might trim the AR mini and replant there.

It's been almost 10 days since a tank pic update, so here you go. Glosso runners in all directions. At this point it has already invaded the star repens and HC Cuba (which might be a good thing as it may help stabilize the the latter). Found some Java fern in the tank (prolly came with a snail order from last year). Moved that to the shrimp tank. Added one leaf of IAL.
I am considering putting the glass top back on. Losing about 1" due to evaporation in a week.
Glosso front view:
rQvIkEBh.jpg
Glosso top view:
KE1meBph.jpg
FTS:
cRQWr7mh.jpg

Are you going to Etsy or eBay terrariums? Add a bromeliad, shut up and take my money!

The Glosso is probably the most prolific submerged plant I've grown. Close to that is broadleaf chain sword which really flourished under a Fimmex FugeRay with DIY CO2. The Glosso is growing in all directions, sending roots down about every 0.5".

Are you going to Etsy or eBay terrariums? Add a bromeliad, shut up and take my money!

Actually Amazon thru eileenb58.
I'm keeping both terrariums probably more humid than I should. Some mosses are producing larger, more tender growth. The hair cap moss is suffering, though, from too much water. All in all, a low maintenance distraction.

Back
Top Bottom