FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How do you find the Downoi? Would you class this as a true carpet?

I really like the look of the S.Repens. Never tried it. Is it a runner?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Downoi can be used as a carpet, probably better in larger tanks since it can get some size to it. True carpet? Not in the same sense as DHG, glosso, or DBT. It sends out side shoots. If you cut the crown, one or more shoots grow from the cut stem.
Staur repens was my first carpet. Like Downoi, it's a stem plants. It's easy to propagate by trimming and replanting the tops. It will send out side shoots and occasionally a stem will grow horizontally and produce several stems and roots. Relying on it to spread on its own though may be a long process. It produces a LOT of roots.

I miss my finnex 24/7.

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

What happened to it?

wow i like your tank Fresh def is something of a real true beauty eyecandy

wish i had the space for a tank like that

i just got a 48gal cube filled half way.. with a small number amount of plants

Funny thing is i see it everyday at work lol sold it to my boss before started working for my lfs ?

Funny thing is i see it everyday at work lol sold it to my boss before started working for my lfs ?

You probably see it more than I see my tank. On non-water change days, however long it takes to drop in some flakes, squirt in the PPS-Pro daily ferts, and stare at the tank for a brief moment is what I average. On water change days, a bit longer.

I have not posted a pic since 7/26. Tank looks the same. Just overgrown. All of the stem plants have reached the surface. Long over due for a trim. Then again, I only spend 2-3 minutes per day between this and the shrimp tank. Feeding, dosing, quick scan...that's it. And it's starting to show.
Tonight I may pull ALL of the plants out and only replant a few in more defined areas. Below is a pic of my tank from JAN 2015. Though I am not going for that same look, there is something pleasing about it. Hopefully I can get some pics up tomorrow.
ia0BIYk.png

Fresh that looks awesome

idk at my LFS i seen this tank that i just admire every time i go
i even tell the owner who takes his tank with pride that i just gaze in it for mins beyond mins

but since i got a 48 cube tank i cant really do that i will later take a pic to show what i mean

but this is just to awesome to look at thru a picture...

Fresh that looks awesome

idk at my LFS i seen this tank that i just admire every time i go

i even tell the owner who takes his tank with pride that i just gaze in it for mins beyond mins

but since i got a 48 cube tank i cant really do that i will later take a pic to show what i mean

but this is just to awesome to look at thru a picture...

Thanks!
I look forward to seeing your 48 cube tank.
Oh, I took out all of the plants in my tank. Waiting for it to clear before I replant. Might do a water change at this point.
mez5Q3Dh.jpg
More pics to come as I make progress...

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I found that I always had to change it up when I had the high tech build.

ix4oazsh.jpg

Well, it's clearing up. It was so cloudy I forget the HC Cuba was still in there. Big water change and new floss in the filter helped.
Time to get them plants back in there...

GuA8PYch.jpg

Tank is not clear but wanted to get a pic before turning in. It was murky in the early parts of replanting so I'll see what it looks like in the morning.
I did not add any Rotala colorata or Rotala macrandra back to the tank. Instead of putting stem plants under the filter output, I placed a few clumps of subwassertang to fill that spot.
I left some open space in the front right for the HC Cuba.
I now have a bucket of plants leftover.
lAya6QBh.jpg

That's a bucket of pure gold.

I'm going to sort it out into groups and see what's in there. No local fish club meeting today (was looking to unload this at the meeting). Most likely will sell it for CHEAP!!!
Currently working on tying the DBT / HC Cuba to some mesh. Dime for scale:
1tQ9GJEh.jpg

Updated pic of the tank. Water has cleared up and new patches of DBT /HC Cuba. I'm happy (for now)...
fXpu3Fjh.jpg

I sorted the plants in the bucket:
wHXQyrPh.jpg

A. Pogostemon erectus
B. Ludwigia species 'red'
C. Rotala colorata/roundifolia
D. Staurogyne repens
E. Downoi / Pogostemon helferi
F. Ammania bonsai
G. Alternanthera reineckii 'mini'
H. Subwassertang
I. Limnophilia aromatica
J. Dwarf Sagitteria

Updated pic of the tank. Water has cleared up and new patches of DBT /HC Cuba. I'm happy (for now)...
fXpu3Fjh.jpg

I sorted the plants in the bucket:
wHXQyrPh.jpg

A. Pogostemon erectus
B. Ludwigia species 'red'
C. Rotala colorata/roundifolia
D. Staurogyne repens
E. Downoi / Pogostemon helferi
F. Ammania bonsai
G. Alternanthera reineckii 'mini'
H. Subwassertang
I. Limnophilia aromatica
J. Dwarf Sagitteria

Ah man, if I had room in my tank right now I'd call you up on that Dwarf Sag. The tank looks nice! Nice contrast, and as usual, the tank looks bigger than a 20 gallon.

See? Beautiful. You nearly gave me a heart attack over nothing!!! :)

In landscaping (the yard & garden) one of the ideals is to use plants which grow to the size that is wanted at maturity for the space provided. It seems all those (stems) are pretty awesome plants but such large/long plants. It is nice there will be less long ones with endless trimming!

Hey fresh just wondering what the crypt like red plant is in your tank? It looks amazing I want some!

30g planted, 90g Oscar tank

Hey fresh just wondering what the crypt like red plant is in your tank? It looks amazing I want some!

30g planted, 90g Oscar tank

Alternanthera reineckii it's a stem plant but cut short. It's a slow grower and in my experience doesn't compete well if not given optimal conditions.

Alternanthera reineckii it's a stem plant but cut short. It's a slow grower and in my experience doesn't compete well if not given optimal conditions.

This is the 'mini' variety, though some 'regular' might be mixed in. Growing it is one thing; getting that deep red color is another. I just shipped off about a dozen or so stems yesterday.
The other red plant in the tank on the left side are a couple of stems of Ludwigia sp. 'red'. They tend to get straggly although I really like the red color.

Back
Top Bottom