FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I never got around to increasing the CO2. I'm still getting a 1.0-1.4 pH drop during the day. GH is 15; KH is 8...maybe someone can do the CO2 math.
I should be dosing 0.8 mL micros per day, however, it has been more like 2 mL (the original dosage rate per 20g).
At this point I'm going to ride things out. Can't tell if the stippling of the staur repens is getting better or not. Not getting worse and growth is still good. I am pleased with the resurgence of the downoi.

I’ve had the same thing with regards to the loss of green pigment on the staur repens. I’ve had another case lately but this time on the hygrophila carymbosa. It happened the day after a large water change. Literally overnight. I think I was deficient in manganese or magnesium and increasing fert’s of late has seen the plant recover so it was a mobile nutrient deficiency of which the two mentioned are. My micro mix is low in Mn and UK tap water is notorious for low levels of Mg.

Tank update after vacation. No fish deaths. Lots of AR growth. Only a trace of GSA on the front glass. No (more) BBA. Surprisingly, the pale areas of the Staur repens leaves appear to be gone; greener color overall. I have increased the micros several weeks back.
I am severely overdue for a water change (thus the lower water level); will do it in the AM.
Finnex 24/7 evening hours
P3NU4G5.jpg
Plus the Planted+
FTAZatT.jpg

I set aside some food and ferts in those little plastic condiment cups for 3 feedings/dosages over a nine day period. Caretaker was given simple instructions on yellow sticky notes "Dump food/ferts in tank" for Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday.

Looks lovely and good instructions - yay for simplicity! That's a relief!

I have a pill box for the tanks next time I have to go away. Though I am trying to train the 2yo grandson how much to feed. Not quite catching on yet.

I also had stickies with arrows stating "Drop in here" (at the back of the tank).
Here's a pic of the wafers for the shrimp tank and food/ferts for the Planted tank. I added extra water the the fert cups to offset evaporation. IMG_4034.jpg
Two years old might be pushing it a bit :)

Tank looks great, especially after a vacay! Wow. Love the strategy employed by dummy-proofing the dosages and food. Think I'll have to do the same the next time I need to be away for an extended period. Luckily IP Wi-Fi security cams are cheap now.. Easy way to ensure things are getting done and your house remains secured when gone. BTW, are you still dosing PPS-Pro?

Usually I let things go for a week but someone was home. Dummy proof.
I have a friend who keeps a wifi camera to check on the dogs (and for security as well). That combo doorbell, camera, mic, and speaker setup sounds interesting (keep an eye on your deliveries).
Yes, doing PPS-Pro. Modified with extra phosphate and separate KNO3. Was under dosing micros for a while and recently bumped them up to address a potential deficiency seen in the staur repens leaves.
CO2 just ran out yesterday. Tank is empty (or with dregs in it). An EOT dump may have occurred as the drop checker was very yellow last night. One fish death (ember tetra) but it was a bloat issue that has been going on for a few days.
Going to get a refill tonight.

Cool... Wait, what's your mod in the micros? I recently had to pull all my s. repens out and I seen many holes in the lower leaves I cut away before replanting... Guess I'm seeing the deficiency.

Actually, the micros are the standard PPS-Pro dose (1 mL for 10 gallons) pre-2015 or whenever it was determined that micro toxicity was a thing. Not saying it is not. I had reduced dosage to 0.5ish mL per 20 gallons for the better part of the year. Recently I noticed pale coloration in the staur repens leaves between the veins. For the last few weeks I bumped up the micro dosage and the leaf coloration has improved. Some of the older, lower leaves do have a bit of wear and tear on them. Specs of BBA and holes. But not many.
New growth is crawling along the substrate (I like that) and the "carpet" is filling in.

Ordered some digital thermometers. No more guestimating water temps during water changes. Besides, have not checked the tank temps in a long, long time.
My fish don’t like the Ken’s Colormax flakes, however, my shrimp treat it like crack. I also got a LOWKEYS Sampler Pack plus some extras from Hans Aquatics! Can’t wait to try these out. IMG_4452.jpg
Updated pic of the tank: IMG_4442.jpg

Lol - I can’t stand the smell of shrimp pellets but they seem to be hanging around for them to drop down so they can be dragged off (no sharing there).

Just joined the digital age as well on thermometers. Seems to be reading about right so far. No more peering at a faint red line so far.

Last edited:
Nice variety of foods there. I got a little sampling from the guy I got the PRL shrimp from. He wanted about 75 for near full bags of a full line of low keys plus a few other brands.

The shrimp foods are a little costly.

I got the sample pack so I can try out a bunch of foods at a low cost. Yes, food can get pricey. Then again, the shrimp will pretty much eat anything. I wonder if it is a proper analogy in regards to shrimp eating low cost flake food = humans eating potato chips? Maybe the higher end food is more important to the Caridina species?
Anywho, the shrimp discussion might be a deflection because I am bored with my tank again. The carpet has filled in; red everywhere. Even the helferi are growing in nicely. I can bleach the stones again but in 3-4 weeks they will look like they are now. Just don’t know what I want to do with this.

Anywho, the shrimp discussion might be a deflection because I am bored with my tank again. The carpet has filled in; red everywhere. Even the helferi are growing in nicely. I can bleach the stones again but in 3-4 weeks they will look like they are now. Just don’t know what I want to do with this.

Regardless it’s phenomenal plant growth. Let’s get some wood in there!

Isn't it peculiar how fast we can become bored with a particular setup no matter how beautiful
the tank is or how amazing the grouping of species are. Every week I find myself elbow deep in my tanks, rearranging rocks and driftwood attempting to capture that perfect imperfection that will bring my displays to a new level. My wife often has to talk me back from the ledge. She compares me to a little boy playing in the creek. Her analogy probably not far off.
Your tank looks great and I admire your gardening skills. IMO, rocks look better a little green.:)

I’m conflicted with mixing DW and stones though I’ve seen it work well in the recent jungle island scapes. A variation to stem plants typical used would be the low growing staur repens and Alternanthera species I have. The idea of having open spaces with no vegetation (I see substrate...gasp!) gives me the Willie’s.
I don’t do much with the tank after it has been setup. Maybe a tweak here and there. The wall to wall carpets limits how much I can move things around.
I used to love playing in creeks. Learned so much there.
Gardening is a dynamic, rewarding adventure; never stops, never done.
Got a lot of non-aquarium distractions to keep my hands dry for a bit (reorganizing a home office for starters) so the tank will stay as is for now.
Will do some extensive Googling looking for the next inspiration.

How easily we get interested in different things!

I feel your interest in new scapes.

What about a different type of tank? What about SW? You don't have that yet under your belt.

Your tank is quite gorgeous.

Are you thinking of different livestock too? What?

Frankly I am about to get rid of a few tanks, anxiety level is up there right now, but I am going to be happy when it is done.

Back
Top Bottom