Freshwater Flounder (or is it really Brackish or Saltwater?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PoseidonCichlid

Aquarium Advice Activist
Regularly our LFS gets in shipments of baby flounders (I believe they are from Florida, either from a fish farm or who knows) they are always kept in the FW section and labeled as freshwater fish. Are these candidates for the brackish aquarium or even saltwater? Or are they truly freshwater? I tried to get a species name but as I expected nobody has a clue. Would love to have a tank full of them with a sand substrate but only if they'll thrive and if I know how much salt if any to give them, thanks for any pointers.

It's difficult without a scientific name.. but I know of one that's commonly sold as freshwater that is a brackish species, maybe even marine as adults. I'll try to find a link of them to post here.

As a general tip anything with the prefix, "freshwater" it's usually going to be a brackish fish; like freshwater lion fish, flounder and so on and so forth.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

As a general tip anything with the prefix, "freshwater" it's usually going to be a brackish fish; like freshwater lion fish, flounder and so on and so forth.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
+1.
Speaking of, I really need to find a Freshwater Lion. It's been awhile since I've set up a species specific tank.
..About two months that is.

Back
Top Bottom