"FreshWater Shark"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pool filter sand is just a cheap alternative to aquarium gravel. substrate is the gravel or sand you put in the bottom of your tank. it helps the bacterial colony adhere to something, and gives you a place to anchor plants and decor.

it is not a nessecity, but most people have some sort of bottom layer.

Pool filter sand is just a cheap alternative to aquarium gravel

Sand and gravel are different. PFS happens to be cheaper but is not a cheaper alternative to gravel. It depends what you want.

If you do get the 55 gallon tank then I'd suggest you read on the nitrogen cycle and on cycling a tank. I'll give you the really short version (if I can !)
Fish produce ammonia as they breathe. Ammonia is toxic. Luckily there are "good bacteria" that eventually grow and multiply that can convert ammonia to nitrites. Nitrites are also toxic, but not as deadly as ammonia. BUT there's another set of good bacteria that convert nitrites to nitrates. Nitrates are the least toxic and are easily removed with a partial water change.
it takes about 2 months for these bacteria to grow - so while they are getting established you'll need to go VERY SLOW on adding fish to your tank. I like FishyP's idea of just getting two more small bala sharks. You should be able to keep up with the water changes and after a month or so may be able to add another few inches worth of fish, from then on you'll be able to add another few inches every couple of weeks until you have your full stock.

I am so sorry that you were so horribly misled when you bought the fish. But I'm glad that at least one of those fish found a person who was willing to do some research and find out the truth and is willing to try and do the right thing. You get a big HIP HIP HOORAY from me for that; and on behalf of the bala I thank you.

true, trus. you are correct. my apologies. sand is sand, gravel is gravel.

thats ok, you are just talking to a complete newb who has no idea, so you might ahve to explain things alittle better hehe.
Ok thanks alot guys that really has helped me alot.
Mitch

Well what happend is i was lied to, i was told that this little tank it came in, which is not even 1 galon, its probably around 1 1/2 quarts of water. But anyway, i was told that this thing woudl only get maybe 3 1/2 inches long and would beable to stay in this tank forever,

They probably thought that because it's a common misconception that fish won't outgrow a tank. That's probably the biggest myth in fishkeeping. There might be some fish that get stressed enough where they don't grow, but even then, it's unhealthy.

you are just talking to a complete newb who has no idea, so you might ahve to explain things alittle better hehe

That is no problem at all. That is what we are here for. Everybody was a new to this at one time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom