freshwater that resemble salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sealife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a small 100litre, 26g cube tank.
Large filter for it and running smoothly. Lovely looking tank. But nothing is in it at the moment.
Whats amazing and interesting I could put in it? Especially anything that resembles the awe of saltwater fish, would be cool. Anything that follows the colour, shape and personality of saltwater would be nice.
I have no live plants. Black gravel, plastic plants and red strat rocks.
Heater on to 24degress, mid70s f.
Thanks.

I have a small 100litre, 26g cube tank.
Large filter for it and running smoothly. Lovely looking tank. But nothing is in it at the moment.
Whats amazing and interesting I could put in it? Especially anything that resembles the awe of saltwater fish, would be cool. Anything that follows the colour, shape and personality of saltwater would be nice.
I have no live plants. Black gravel, plastic plants and red strat rocks.
Heater on to 24degress, mid70s f.
Thanks.

The closest your going to get to a salt water appearance are African Cichlids. There are other beautiful fish like Appistograma, Rams, and Discus, but they prefer planted setups and that's not very marine lol. Most people who aren't familiar with the hobby will mistake Africans for saltwater fish, there are some really beautiful and bright strains. BUT, you should really only investigate the shell dwellers, as most Africans get to between 4-6 inches and that's too big for your 26 gallon.

Look into German Blue Rams, very colorful, plus you could do 3 in a tank that size.

I agree, but they enjoy diverse planted tanks which to me does not resemble a marine environment and I think that was what the OP was aiming for, but I could be wrong.

Hi Guys,
Thank you so much for the replies.

I looked into African cichlids. The only African cichlid, in my opinion, that I enjoy, is electric yellows. Such vibrant colour. Most of the other ones have more or less the same body shape, just different color/pattern. So it didn't keep me interested too long. I like unusal fish that are unusal and fascinating to watch.

I also looked at blue rams, it just doesn't excite me either :/ They look plain and bland. Im so sorry. I appreciate the help though.

The only few fish so far that excite me in freshwater, are electric yellows, kuli loach (they look like colourful eels), fancy coloured plecos (amazing creatures), hillstream loach (look like small colourful stingrays), texas cichlid (for its colours)... thtas all I could find. And im not sure how interesting these fish would be to watch.

Thank you again for the recommendations. Much appreciated.
Any more suggestions, of freshwater fish that are similar to saltwater in many ways?

Thanks.

I agree, but they enjoy diverse planted tanks which to me does not resemble a marine environment and I think that was what the OP was aiming for, but I could be wrong.

They won't know the difference. They most they've ever seen is a bare tank with a hundred other blue rams. Marine looking plants will be fine

What about some freshwater eels? Tire track, zig zag, etc?!
There are also some freshwater puffers that you could look into.

You could do Gardneri Killifish. Aside from maybe the colors I think shell dwelling cichlids would also look very appropriate mimicking a marine environment.

You could do Gardneri Killifish. Aside from maybe the colors I think shell dwelling cichlids would also look very appropriate mimicking a marine environment.

Any odd, colorful, and unusual shell dwellers I could google to see?

What would my PH need to be for these fish?

Killifish look pretty, not sure what their personality is like though.

Thanks heaps for the help.

Back
Top Bottom