Freshwater to Brackish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JobforaCowboy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey,

This is my first post to the forums. I've recently started in the hobby of fishkeeping, bought a 10 gallon tank, did the fishless cycle and had an outbreak of ick that's cleared up now.
My tanks all set up, but I want to convert it from freshwater to Brackish. The fish I have in there now aren't suitable for Brackish but I am rehoming them, just waiting for my mums tank to cycle. I have 2 Red Claw Crabs that prefer brackish and I want to convert the tank for them. I have a few questions regarding the transition from Freshwater to Brackish and have done a lot of research finding only conflicting ideas and leading to more questions rather than awnsers.

Currently the tank is about 3/4 full with a nice piece of driftwood sticking out of the water, if I lower the water anymore than I reach another problem with my filter's output being too high for the water level.

I have a Hydrometer and Instant ocean salt. I heard that adding too much salt water mix to the tank will both stress the Crabs and kill off the bacteria. What is the best way to transistion from FW to BW without this happening? I am aiming for a SG of 1.005-1.008, should I slowly add salt during water changes? If so how big of a water change should I do and how much salt?

If I have missed anything then I'll try to provide information the best I can.

Sorry for the huge post and mass of questions, I just thought its time to ask questions rather than endless research that ends up nowhere.

Thanks for your patience.

for the salt i would make a 25% water change and add 1/2 a teaspoon of salt when refilling the water

1 teaspoon per gallon would be perfect, if u want to add fish just feed the crab 2 or 3 algae wafers so he is not tempted to eat the fish.

the fish i would recommend for ur tank is mollies and guppies since both will live in brackish or freshwater.

hope this helps ck

Back
Top Bottom