Freshy thinking of taking the plunge...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skywhitney

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm debating on whether or not to take the salt plunge right now. I figured I'd start asking a bunch of questions to help figure out what to do.

My initial concern is equipment. Currently my planted tank setup includes:
70g tank
Aqueon proflex Model 3 sump
CPR CS90 overflow
Rio 2100 return pump
Fluval E300 and E250 heaters
Hydor 425 Powerhead
Maxijet 2500(?) powerhead
Wavepoint Quad T5 light (i still have the Actinic and 10000K bulbs)

What else would I need to get a reef tank started?

Well salt! :cool:

Really though your equipment should transfer over fine. Your powerheads(i'm assuming that is a maxi jet 1200) are a little low for a reef so you may want to add another. The only other major piece you will need is a protein skimmer.

First, what do you want this tank to be? You've got the major equipment other than a skimmer, but your missing the small ones. Refractometer, test kits, etc. For test kits, don't waste your money on API, do salifert. If your doing reef and you are doing some sps, get a mag, ca, and alk kit also.

shady3210 said:
Well salt! :cool:

Really though your equipment should transfer over fine. Your powerheads(i'm assuming that is a maxi jet 1200) are a little low for a reef so you may want to add another. The only other major piece you will need is a protein skimmer.
Yeah its a 1200 haha, should have looked at the box earlier...

needmorecowbell said:
First, what do you want this tank to be? You've got the major equipment other than a skimmer, but your missing the small ones. Refractometer, test kits, etc. For test kits, don't waste your money on API, do salifert. If your doing reef and you are doing some sps, get a mag, ca, and alk kit also.
my intention would be to go reef. I was thinking of the small stuff last night.

Recommendations on a skimmer anyone? I don't want a HOB really.

Lol "start small", thats what they all say. I like reef octopus skimmers, they are nice. Before I got a skimmer for free thats what I was going to get. You have a sump, there's no need to go hob. You might have to mod it though.

needmorecowbell said:
You'll be able to keep sps at the very top, but not much at the bottom because of how deep a 70 gallon is

My tank is 36L X 18W X 24H just so you have the dimensions.

Would this tank be big enough for a small porcupine puffer? (I know i'll have to upgrade in time)

I've heard rule of thumb would be to have one lb of sand per gallon and same goes for base rock. I'm running a 55 but only have 40 lbs of rock but I'm still adding as I go. I've also heard puffers eat corals, I wanted one too but I like coral more.

skywhitney said:
My tank is 36L X 18W X 24H just so you have the dimensions.

Would this tank be big enough for a small porcupine puffer? (I know i'll have to upgrade in time)

No. They need very big tanks and are not reef safe. Add one with caution and if you like gambling. 125+ gallon or bigger.

Don't do reef till you are experienced with salt fish first. You seem pretty good with equipment except a good protein skimmer. I wouldn't use a regular pad filter tho. A good quality salt mix is good enough along with a hydrometer. Get a better powerhead tho. You don't want dead spots. I use 2 vortech mp10s facing eachother on each side. A reef you need t5 lights but are expensive.

Terrance said:
No. They need very big tanks and are not reef safe. Add one with caution and if you like gambling. 125+ gallon or bigger.

Any puffers that would work in my purposed setup?

Madcrazyroyboy said:
Don't do reef till you are experienced with salt fish first. You seem pretty good with equipment except a good protein skimmer. I wouldn't use a regular pad filter tho. A good quality salt mix is good enough along with a hydrometer. Get a better powerhead tho. You don't want dead spots. I use 2 vortech mp10s facing eachother on each side. A reef you need t5 lights but are expensive.

I have a quad T5HO fixture, the guy i got it from was using it to grow soft corals and they all seemed to be growing well.

i was looking at this powerhead. http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store...r-koralia-3-12v-controllable-369-924-gph.html

@ Steve: one of the LFS people i go to for pretty much everything offered me 50lbs of sand and 50-60lbs live rock for $75 cause she's breaking down her reef tank

Last edited:
small porcupine puffers don't stay small but in a 70 you should be fine I have one in a 75 gallon and he is very very active and happy he was one of my first fish I put in and was very hearty. Great personality to get you hooked on salt water fish imo

Dude buy it rite away. Your first cycle will go so much faster if u use cured rock and live sand. Just keep it wet during transport. Storage containers worked for me. This is 5 weeks running

Attachments

• image-3756135135.jpg
    image-3756135135.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 128
Steve silbernagel said:
Dude buy it rite away. Your first cycle will go so much faster if u use cured rock and live sand. Just keep it wet during transport. Storage containers worked for me. This is 5 weeks running

Its already mine :) i'm getting established refugium stuff from a friend as well (not exactly sure what classifies as "stuff" though)

Any puffers that would work in my purposed setup?

Porcs really get too big for your setup(they end up looking like a floating football in your tank lol) and can be pretty aggressive. If you want a puffer look into the toby puffers. They are semi reef safe but will eat snails and shrimp(like all puffers). And will get along with most tank mates but may nip at long finned species.

Papuan Toby Puffer

BTW puffers are amazingly smart and fun fish. They act more like a puppy then a fish. I have a brackish figure 8 that eats out of my hand and brightens up the second he sees me.

Back
Top Bottom