Frightened Mono Argentus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhiskeyTrouble

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've seen something posted about this in here before I even got started on this tank, and now I can't find it for the life of me. Maybe someone can refresh me as to the porblem or maybe a solution?

Everytime I turn the lights off on my (currently fresh beginning salt next week) Brackish tank the Monos go absolutely nuts, instantly turning dark and darting all over the place making my archers panic and hop out of the water. (theres enough hopping room, they won't fall out of the tank)

I leave the livingroom light on for a while hoping it would make for an ok transition but no. The second that light goes off they go crazy. Not just for a while either, they freak out for like, hours. They are even still a little freaked out when I get up in the morning even though the sun is ou and they have light, they calm down withing about 30 minutes of having the tanklight on again. They are really small (for now)about 1.5'' each and I'm just curious if this is a normal behavior for the young ones or just schooling active swimmers in general. (I've never had schooling fish before)

Any advice appreciated for the peace in my tank!

Disclaimer: I know these fish get large and are agressive towards eachother when older. I do plan on upgrading when appropriate. They are all tiny and have tons of room for a while. Acclimation to salinity starting soon. I bought them all together last week. They come in fresh water.

Any aggresive fish in the tank? LIghts off could potentially mean that predetars are coming out and the fish may be frightened in these conditions.

You got a cat that goes "fishing" at night?

My mono sebae loves when the lights go out and actually comes out more.

All of the fish are of equal size and the only other fish I have besides the monos are 2 archers who dont bother anyone. If anything the monos pick on the archers a little. I do have 2 cats who are completely disinterested in both tanks and I would never put anything around them that they may stand on to go "fishing". Im thinking they are just young and in a new tank and maybe after a week they will calm down and get used to the routine.
I am also thinking about hanging the lights above the tank a little higher so it isnt as much of a dramatic change from lights on to lights out with the living room lights on before total darkness.
Thanks for responding.

You have only had them for a week too. I dont know but maybe they are still getting acclimated especially if the light does not go off at the same time everynight. All of my lights are on timers. GL

My life is a pretty solid routine (unforunately) They get fed and lights out at the same times everyday. Like you said they are new. I just saw something on here before I was even ready for fish, about monos freaking out and I couldnt find it again. Just wondering if it was a common problem. Guess not. Thanks All.

Back
Top Bottom