Fromia Elegans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LaWoWee

Aquarium Advice Freak
Like an idiot, i made a impulse buy on a Fromia Elegans without researching its care. Its been in my tank for almost a week. The first 2 days, it roamed the walls. The last 3-4 days it has stayed in one spot on the front glass maybe only moving an inch or so in that time. Doesnt look like its eating so not sure if it is doing well. But, during tank feedings and dim lighting, it will curl the ends of its arms and stick out its tentacles. Is this a good sign? Does anyone have experience on their common behavior?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1454478267.649017.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1454478282.194551.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What it is doing by curling it's arms is reaching into the water column to get food particles.Notice the small tentacles extended out from the arms.Depending on how old your tank is you may have to supplement feed it.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It seems through my research, that if anywhere down the supply or shipping chain the star is not properly acclimated, they can, and most likely will, go into osmotic shock.

It seems that they dont eat much, mostly detritus, but other sources indicate bio-film and sponges.

Any chance you could return it to its source ? Maybe in a good aquaculture facility such as Inland Aquatics, they could get it back to health, and you wouldnt be facing an untimely loss. Give Morgan a call at 1-888-368-9114, and ask him. He is a great guy, and an absolute expert on such things. Good Luck.

Thanks guys! Looks like its doing ok right now. It finally moved and went down to my frag rack. The colors on it still look nice. My tank has been up and running strong for 3 years now so i would think there is enough of what it needs in the water column.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1454530056.493389.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1454530067.394029.jpg

He will probably need supplemental feeding to live longer than a few months. These are tough to accommodate as they are pretty selective as to what and how they eat. But it can be done.

Back
Top Bottom