FTS looking for suggestions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eggheadfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi guys!
Here's my 55 gal tank. I know it looks so lame compared to a lot of yours! Problem is the silver dollars munch plants and seem to do better with more open space. Any suggestions for scaping are welcome!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418266549.979485.jpg
And here's my 35 again in process
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418266606.884546.jpg

Guess I should post my stock list. Don't judge. I know I have some oddballs but I have trouble finding some of these fish. I've been trading when I can to make sense of it.
2 red hook luna silver dollars
1 hi fin lyretail
1 black phantom tetra
7 gold pristella tetras
1 panda cory
2 rusty cories
2 bandit cories
7 reticulated julii cories
9 bronze cories

I would try splitting the tank down the middle and move the stuff on the right more to the right. then do the same to the left so it opens up the middle more for the SD's to hang in. But at the same time it looks good as is. The large SD draw my attention more than the décor. They are nice looking fish.

Thanks! They're eleven years old and way bigger than other SD species I've seen. I wish I could find more.

Not to nitpick ( but I am) your "reticulated julii Cories are C trilineatus most likely. LFS stick julii on every cat that looks at all similar.

C trilineatus are 3 Lined Cories. The literal translation if their name.

C julii have tiny dots on their snouts.

C julii are rarely seen in shops anymore.

Some people call C trilineatus "False" julii. But they aren't False anything and it's still using the julii name to sell other species LOL.

http://www.scotcat.com/factsheets/c_trilineatus.htm

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cours,
I thought the term "reticulated julii" = trilineatus (like saying "false julii") Unless I am totally misusing it then my apologies! They are trilineatus definitely not julii I went through that whole confusion when I first got the tank almost two years ago now :) I still have to tell the LFS their "Juliis" are mislabeled.
And please nitpick that's how I learn!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418760644.518796.jpg

Cours,
I thought the term "reticulated julii" = trilineatus (like saying "false julii") Unless I am totally misusing it then my apologies! They are trilineatus definitely not julii I went through that whole confusion when I first got the tank almost two years ago now :) I still have to tell the LFS their "Juliis" are mislabeled.
And please nitpick that's how I learn!
View attachment 258608

Reticulated julii to me still sounds like trying to call them julii. I haven't heard that as a common name in my area.
Julii are 1 particular species. Calling other species julii is confusing and false advertising IMHO.

Not blaming you. I would just call them trilineatus or 3 Lined Cory going forward.

I think I'm on a crusade to stop mislabeling Cories. It is rough. Stores see them listed as julii. They may NEVER have seen a real julii.

There are several look a likes in Cories.
C julii is just the most common mislabel.

Ok off the soapbox. Gotta stare at my fish.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha yeah I hear you. I bought "panda" cories when I started and then later bought more just to find out the original guys were bandits. Trying to do the right thing and getting roadblocked by mislabels! I know better now though. I actually saw julii at petco once.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom