Fu manchu lion fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

animalzrok2

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does anyone have a fu manchu lionfish or have experience with them? I'm interested in getting one, so it would be nice to hear what your encounter was.

I have a dwarf lionfish which is a lot like a fumanchu. It is the coolest fish I've had. The only issue is feeding. Lions prefer live food and mine wasn't weened off before I bought it and it won't take to frozen at all. Frozen food will litterally hit him in the face and he won't react but he hunts live fish like no ones buisness. I don't mind getting feeder fish from the LFS but from what I've read online it's not good for them. Have had mine for 6 weeks now and it looks amazing. Its fat and the color is brilliant so I don't know how unhealthy the live food really is but it's been a challenge trying to ween him off.

Attachments

• lion.JPG
    lion.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 194
its so beautiful! what size tank is it in? this might be a stupid question but my friend weened theres by moving the frozen food around if that makes sense.

Oh I've tried that. I've even used silverside's and tried to make it look like they are swimming around...lol

Its in a 50 gallon reef. He's perfect, doesn't touch the coral, inverts or fish. They are supposed to sit around a lot but mine is quite active. Slow as he glides around the tank but active. When he hunts he bleaches himsel out so he's harder to see. Its the coolest thing, he goes white and the second the fish is in its mouth all the color comes back.

I seen that you said it doesnt mess with coral fish or inverts, is that normal with the type you have or are you lucking that it doesnt eat your stuff. ive heard if it will fit in there mouth they will eat it, is that true with your tank?

i think all dwarfs are reef safe. he hasn't touched a snail or crab or even thought of nippin a coral. i wouldn't put any really small fish in the tank or any shrimp smaller than him but i have a cleaner shirmp in the tank that hes never bothered.

Thats awesome I like the clip. how long have you had him in your tank. Ive been wanting one now since I seen someone have it in a reef tank I think I may get one. Thanks

Would a dwarf lion be ok with a yellow tang, tomato clown, pj card, blue chromis, yellow head goby and pink spotted goby, cleanet shrimp? Which my shrimp is pretty big.

edwardclaxton said:
Would a dwarf lion be ok with a yellow tang, tomato clown, pj card, blue chromis, yellow head goby and pink spotted goby, cleanet shrimp? Which my shrimp is pretty big.

How big is the tank? I wouldn't know if it could be with the shrimp but idk

tank went up May 2011 so just over a year. This vids better IMO the last one was iphone...

058 - YouTube

I'm having a little algae issue right now with that brown leafy stuff, anyone know what eats it?

Edward, your list looks good to me, as long as your fish don't fit in its mouth you'll be fine....

Animal-Chin said:
tank went up May 2011 so just over a year. This vids better IMO the last one was iphone...

058 - YouTube

I'm having a little algae issue right now with that brown leafy stuff, anyone know what eats it?

Edward, your list looks good to me, as long as your fish don't fit in its mouth you'll be fine....

Soo jealous! I'd be happy to take some of your coral off your hands if you ever need it ;)

Ok and one more question. When I add him and lets say I get a new and need to place will it try to sting me or swim away and hows the sting?

i haven't been stung yet. He's interested in me but a little shy so when i have my hand in the tank he slowly swims away. I have to be careful though, like today a coral fell off a shelf and i had to put my arm in the tank. he was coming way to close for my comfort.

i hear its like a bad bee sting. it goes away when you run hot water over it though (so i hear).

Ok sounds good I believe thats gonna be my next addition which one do you prefer? And what do you normally feed it

Right now i buy fresh water feeder fish weekly. I usually get rosy reds a ive read they have the most nutrition. I try to feed the rosies mysis right befor the lion eats them so they arent digested ye and the lion gets the nutrience. When you pick one up ask the fish store what they are feeding if they say anything frozen ask to see a feding to make sure....

Ok thanks and I heard they will eat ghost shrimp too? Is that right and should I stick with the fish

ya i hear that too, I can't get them around here though so I haven't tried. I'm guessing if it wiggles he'll eat it...lol

Back
Top Bottom